Monday, September 28, 2015

You CAN do More!



Today at this writing, our Sunday School class will go to a nursing home to minister to the folks. All of them are either in wheel chairs or are bedridden. It is not my most favorite ministry but my husband and I have been faithful to it for over 20 years. I’m writing about this ministry to help those who feel as I do. I literally have to tell myself, “Yay, I get to go to the nursing home today and sing and help someone who cannot help themselves. I get to eat with Ralph and Kathy and others from our class. Also, I get to hear Tom’s familiar jokes and experience Frank’s “new dish” for the luncheon. By the time I finish talking to myself, I am excited to go. Do you know why? My attitude changed while I enjoyed everything that surrounded the event. It really is all about our attitude in serving others. Frank Lewis is one of those people who loves serving others. I get a kick out of him every Sunday doing something for someone else. He is not as selfish as I am at times and the only way I can kick myself out of myself, is by an attitude adjustment!

Someone MUST go and do what others will not even if it is not their most favorite thing to do. It isn’t about being called to this ministry. It is about serving and not about selfishness. There may be a ministry that is lacking in your church and you could volunteer to help even if it is only once a month. You may want to rethink what you CAN do.  I loved what my pastor, Dr. Andy Bloom, recently said that you may minister to 20 or you may minister to 100 or even 1,000, but minister to the people God gives to you. It is real easy to criticize what others do, isn’t it? But think about it:  THEY ARE THE ONES “DOING” while others do not!

We walked into the large room of the nursing home only to find that there was no organ and no pulpit. They (whoever they are) had gotten rid of them! Ok, now what? The elderly were being brought in ready for a service. So, Tom just pulled up a table and we “made do” with what we had and all of us which was only a few, began singing!  I loved it!  They were slowly arriving…. some with a smile while others could be heard singing the old familiar hymns.

After the service I grabbed the handles of a wheel chair and began pushing a lively 93 year old lady while she began talking about her life. She couldn’t see my face but just talked and talked. Folks, sometimes we just need to close our OWN mouths and let people talk. I let her have her glory time and when we arrived at her room, I knelt down beside her and asked the question, “Has anyone ever told you about Jesus and that He died for your sins?”  She looked up at me with a big smile and said, “Oh yes, honey, sometime around my 17th birthday. I used to go to the Salvation Army for services, but I just can’t anymore, so I just do what I can today.”

I got to thinking about that……”I just do what I can” and folks that is all Jesus requires out of us each and every day…… "Just do what you can and while you are doing, you might just be able to do MORE." Don't you love that thought?

I personally believe that God smiles on us as we work at working for Him, don’t you? He knows you can’t do some things like you used to do, but rest assured, if you CAN DO IT and DON’T, it will be required at the judgment.  Sometimes we make excuses for not doing what needs to be done. Shame on us!

Joh 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
Joh 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
Joh 4:36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
Joh 4:37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
Joh 4:38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

You may not be able to sing, or preach, or tell a creative story to children, but you can always tell someone what Jesus has done for you. You may think they will not listen, but that is not our part to worry about, is it? Our part is to just tell them! The best thing about all of it whether at the nursing home, Sunday School or door to door soul-winning is that it is GOD’S BUSINESS and He is already ahead of you. Look out over the city, or the hill, or the mountain, or maybe down the street or at work. The field is white unto harvest!

JUST DO WHAT YOU CAN, and before you know it, YOU CAN DO MORE!

Until next time, Lord willing..

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment