Monday, September 14, 2015

Leave Your World and Enter Their World



Horse farms are abundant in Marion County especially west of Ocala. I am blessed every day while driving to work watching many of the horses scamper across the fields and sometimes chasing an ATV full of feed. Just watching them makes me smile as they get their trot just in tune with the ATV, heads bowed, mouths open, eating and enjoying every moment of it. I don’t know what would happen if the ATV stopped suddenly with a jolt. I suppose the horse would be quicker than I would be in getting out of the way!

I can’t help but to think of Marlene Evans and her imagination in trying to tell a story of “The horse who didn’t get out of the way.”  I suppose there’s not another writer and teacher who has influenced my life like this dear Godly woman, professor, author and friend. She enjoyed life even while cancer wreaked havoc in her body.  But even during those many years of treatment she enjoyed living the abundant life our savior spoke about in John 10:10. Because she taught it, many of us “caught” it!

What are you teaching so that others can catch it, embrace it, live it and re-produce it?

A favorite saying of hers was, “Leave your world and enter hers (his).” That is very difficult to do if you and I think only of ourselves most of the time.  

John 10:9-10 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I sat in the Children’s Emergency waiting room while Brother and Mrs. Kirsop’s little girl, Aliethia was being x-rayed for a possible break after falling from the monkey bars at school. I needed to work and kept looking at my attache case contemplating pulling out some work and at least separating the papers to a “to do list” but was interrupted by some youngsters who spoke no English and was apparently not taught how to behave in a public place.  I shifted from side to side avoiding the one child who almost slammed into my legs while pushing a plastic chair! I looked up and his mouth was biting down on a pacifier and I actually thought, “I hope you bite your tongue, you little spoiled brat!” The mom was oblivious to their wild behavior and probably wouldn’t understand me if I tried to tell her she needed to make her four children sit down and read a book or color or SOMETHING, rather than keep ME from concentrating on my work.

Finally, I just folded the papers and tucked them away for later, picked up my cell phone to check on the progress of Aliethia when the smallest child waddled over to me and just stood there looking up at me and smiling.  Mrs. Evans has been with the Lord for many years, but I thought I could hear her say, “Sharon, stop. Leave your world and enter his.” I smiled back into the darkest most beautiful black eyed little boy, ever. He was there all the time, but all I could see was my own perturbness ….. my perturb with a ness!

Our little interruptions in the day may keep us from the abundant life if we are not careful to take notice of our God in the midst of it all, wouldn’t you agree? Are you like me and get so caught up in the moment that you miss the bountiful blessings of the little things…..like a child who just needed a smile?

I thought about the little one, and was ashamed that I didn’t take advantage of the moments with those children because as quickly as they were there, they left. I probably will not see them again. Sad. Selfishness keeps us from enjoying the abundant life.

Stop and think about your life. What consumes you? Is there a balance of the spiritual, the physical, the mental and the eternal? Is it time to make a “to do list” and change some things? What do you like doing? Do you make time to do those things that will be an encouragement to you mentally? Do you get outside and challenge your mind to relax and maybe watch the horses run through the fields chasing one other or are you stuck in a one sided life where work dominates you. Maybe sports dominates your life if you are an athlete.  I hear women who run every day but it dominates their life. They have become addicted to it and therefore there is no balance.  A writer can become so involved in writing that other areas suffer. I see the abundant life as a balanced life full of God’s provisions and opportunities to enter others' lives.

Jesus warns us of the enemy, the thief who comes to steal our joy, killing our influence for Him while others watch and want nothing to do with church, religion or Christ. Shame on us. Shame on me for not picking up that little boy and smooching all over his little dirty face!

Abundance…….fullness, overflowing.
Abundant life……life to its fullest!

So, I made a new “to do” list to shore up some of the things I already enjoy. Marlene Evans would be so proud of me!! These have to do with the following:

Nature, Bible study, bicycling, visiting, eating with more of Trim Healthy Mama recipes, music and singing, and last but not least…..writing.

God wants us to enjoy this life He has given to us. Look about you and think on some ways you can shore up those things you already enjoy or maybe you have set them aside for another day. It may be time to write another “to do” list!

Until next time, Lord willing.
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment