Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Praise Him More and More!



A dear sweet elderly couple (watch it, Sharon!) has visited our Sunday school class now for a couple of weeks. I wanted to get to know them a little better so I sat down with them before class began and before I knew it, THEY were asking ME all kinds of interesting questions. I found myself totally at ease and knew why they were used so mightily by God as Church Planters.  From their lips sang praises unto God for His bountiful blessings, for His endless mercies and for the life God had allowed them to live. I couldn’t help but think of the following scripture, 

Ps 71:14-17 ¶ But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof. I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only. O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. ¶ But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof. I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only. O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

Praise thee more and more……what beautiful words and such a testimony of believers who praise the Lord more and more the older we become. I’m so glad I have the privilege to know this fine, spirit filled couple who served 10 years as missionaries in Bangladesh and would have stayed there had it not been for a critical health issue of this brother in Christ.  Even in his life/death situation he did not give up but continued to praise the Lord more and more. Back to the states they came but with a determination to continue the work for which they were trained and that was of planting a church. Indeed they did and more than just one! God was merciful to them and guided their steps, one day at time.

We must speak of God’s mercies, don’t we? We can’t keep them quiet, can we? They are more than we can number. I know in my own life when I stop to think of God’s mercies, I become overwhelmed with emotion and have to make myself enter into His rest or else I become discouraged because I deserve Hell and NOT His mercies.

Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.  

“Misth Loyd, Misth Loyd! look, I lost another tooth!” a little one yells to me flying down the hall right before the bell rings. So excited, they just can’t restrain themselves for one minute. They just have to tell me or someone who cares. Shouldn’t that be our goal every day of our lives; running to Jesus and shouting, “Look, Jesus, see what good thing has happen to me? Praise your name, Jesus! Thank you for your mercies and bountiful blessings!”

She helped her husband get up, took his arm and together they shuffled to our double doors to the main auditorium. Both were smiling, acknowledging those who met them. They are the epitome of Jesus Christ! I want to be like that, don’t you?

Brother C. H. Spurgeon said it best: “My aged brothers and sister, I congratulate you, for you are almost home. Be yet more full of praise than ever. Quicken your footsteps as the glorious land shines more brightly. You are close to the pearly gates. Sing on, though your infirmities increase. Let the song grow sweeter and louder until it melts into the infinite harmonies.”

Praise Him more and more!

Until next time, Lord willing.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment