Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lord, I'm Not Worthy, but I Am Willing.



The young boy got on his knees and placed his hands in his face to pray for his grandma. Beside him, I joined. There is nothing quite like a young child’s prayer. So honest, so touching, so real are the words. Tears came not only from him but from me as well. 

“God, you just have to answer this youngster. He must hear from you. His faith is strong. Keep his heart tender toward you and let him hear from his grandma. Show me how to give him, YOU.” 

The youngster was willing to tell his teacher, come to me and pour his heart out to God. He couldn’t drive across town to visit his grandma. He couldn’t fix her a meal or take her to church. He was only seven years old.  I encouraged him to write his grandma a note and during recess, he willingly sat down and wrote the most beautiful words to his sweet grandma.

A willing heart gets a lot done!

By accident (not really) I turned to Exodus 35 the other day thinking I was in Genesis 35 and from there God began working a thought in me on the WILLING HEART. There is much, much scripture on The Heart. If you keep a journal, you may want to make a detour or just add to your study of God’s Word and look up these verses and make application to your own life. I became overwhelmed reading this chapter but just like the little boy, I bowed my head and told God, “I am not worthy of anything from you, but Lord, I AM WILLING!

What does it mean to have a Willing Heart?  We volunteer ourselves to do whatever needs to be done.  We exercise our generous hearts to the task. I think of my son-in-law and grandson, Samuel. They have willingly taken on the task to build a house for the family.  It is taking time, more money and much stamina, but God has given the “mind” to Mark to do it.  I have thought about that over and over and over. What would I do if God needed a house built? What would YOU do if God needed something done for which you had no education to do, no knowledge, if you please, of even where to begin?

First of all, we must desire a WILLING HEART.

I have one of the best dentists in the world. I’m sure there are more, but I don’t know them like I know mine. Dr. Parker never hurts me, intentionally. I am his best interest while he fixes whatever needs to be fixed. He has within his reach everything he needs. He is educated in his field and very qualified but the one character trait that makes him exceptional is his heart. It shows while he works on his patients. He stops from time to time and says, “Are you ok?” I can’t answer with a wad in my mouth but I try.  Dr. Parker’s kindness works through his hands and his heart.

The scripture in Exodus 35 reveals that after Moses spake the commandment of God, some of the people acted quickly.

Ex 35:5 Take ye from among you an offering unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it, an offering of the LORD; gold, and silver, and brass,

I can see Moses standing before the huge crowd giving the commandment of God but some of them just went back to their tent too busy to help or for whatever reason did not offer their assistance. Their heart was not willing.

How many times have you been there? “Lord, I just don’t have the time to go and visit the sick.” Why not pray something similar to this, “Lord, I just don’t have the time to go and visit the sick, but I am willing to try.”   

“Lord, I don’t have enough money to pay my bills. How can I begin tithing?” Or we could say, “Lord, I don’t have enough money to pay my bills or to tithe, but because of your Word, I am willing to obey your command.”

“Lord, I am so tired tonight and need to rest instead of going to revival.” Or we could say, “Lord, I am so tired tonight and need to rest but I am willing to go to revival and I will trust You to give me the rest I need.”

Ex 35:21 & 22 And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD'S offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation, and for all his service, and for the holy garments. And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD.

Are you getting the picture of a people willing to do whatever Moses told them as a commandment from God concerning the Tabernacle? Oh my friend, all God requires is our obedience.  

“Lord I am not worthy, but I am willing.”

Mark has preached over and over the message of Jesus Christ and has seen after Bible study, after Bible study, men reject our wonderful Savior.  Pastor Andy gets criticized heavily for his fundamental stand on the Word of God as being the actual words for us today.  He is made fun of by not joining the popular crowds of “this and that.” There has always been a “this and that.” Mark has gone to a particular home week after week preaching Jesus to them and yet the people will not turn to Jesus' way of salvation. It can get pretty wearisome, can’t it? But until God shuts the door, we must continue to be WILLING to do the impossible, recognizing that it is God in us doing that which is impossible!

“Lord, I am not worthy, but I am willing.”

Until next time, LORD willing.
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sharon...that is my desire... To have a willing heart

    ReplyDelete