Friday, September 11, 2015

Continue!


2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

Two of my children and I sat down last week in a coffee shop while we waited on Mark to come pick us up.  It was really only a narrow sliver of a building where someone constructed a counter and set out some tables and chairs, but it was chilly and the coffee and hot chocolate smelled delicious as we balanced ourselves on the wobbly chairs and listened to the traffic stream by outside.  Somehow the conversation turned to the topic of why do people sin.  I listened to my son vehemently proclaim that he would NEVER do some of the things he has seen people do against God.  As he spoke I remember when I was a teenager and said the very same thing and yet now looking back on my life I see where I strayed from that goal and hurt my Saviour.  Tears filled my eyes as I looked at Sam and told him that the only way he would ever remain true to the Lord would be to follow Him in every area of his life.  He and Amelia began pelting me with questions about how to live and our time became fruitful for the spirit rather than just our bodies. 

I suppose the one thing I could state to my children is to continue.  Continue in that which we have taught them in God’s Word.  If they will continue in the Truth, they won’t err.  If they do err, they can go back and pick up where they left off and begin to continue again!

How about you?  Are you continuing in your quest to know God better?  It requires the reading of the truth to combat the lies every day.  Are you reading the Bible?  Are you actively seeking to wage the war of the flesh by using the Scripture?  You won’t know what Scripture to use if you are not reading it.  To continue in something means you have to be participating in it already.  So if you have left off somewhere along the way, then recommit today that you are going to continue in the Word and Prayer.

This isn’t a long post, but one that I hope will prompt you to determine to continue.  Now is not the time to lay down the Sword and give up.  We must aim ourselves at God and continue in HIS direction through Christ if we don’t want to be a castaway.  Let’s continue!

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment