Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What did Jesus do when He was alone?


Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

I have claimed this verse many times in many different situations.  It is a great help to me on the mission field when I experience something that no one else understands.  Why?  Because I know that I can immediately have a sympathetic ear with the One who knows my afflictions better than I know them myself!  I can pray.

In my last post I talked about loneliness and a way to look at it.  But what about Christ?  What did He do when He was alone here on earth? After Jesus fed the multitude, he sent them away and told the disciples to get in a boat.  He went to go pray and the Bible says, “he was there alone.” 

There will come a time in your life after a great victory or a great event that you will find yourself alone.  It is wise to plan ahead for those moments.  Your physical strength will be depleted and your mental state will be tired.  That is the perfect breeding ground for the enemy to come in and attack.  He will either fill you with pride as you think on all “you” did that day, or he will cause you to feel depressed and alone.  What should you do?

Matthew 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

Jesus, our perfect example, prayed.  I believe one reason he prayed was to thank God for what had happened and then for strength to teach his disciples.  I also believe he saw you and me in the future needing His example!

John 16:32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

These two verses are spoken just before Jesus prays the beautiful prayer recorded in John 17.  Jesus reminds us that he was not truly alone when all men would flee from him, but God was with him.

I have experienced the feeling of friends fleeing from me.  I don’t fault them, and I don’t fault me.  I believe it had to happen for me to understand others.  I can empathize when someone talks of depression and suicidal thoughts because I have experienced them.  Many of you have as well.  The key to victory is getting the right perspective and that perspective must come from the truth in God's Word.

The devil will take something God is doing and pervert it by making us use human reasoning.  Jesus didn’t use human reasoning, he claimed something spoken already in Joshua.  He knew God was with Him because God had already given the promise to man that He wouldn’t leave him or forsake him.  (Joshua 1:5)

- Do not apply the world’s advice to your current status. 

If you are lonely, don’t seek to satisfy or dull that ache through sex, popping pills, or drinking alcohol.  They only mask the need with a superficial, temporary blindness, they will NOT fill it.  And those things will destroy you and break you even further.

- Do not seek the wrong companionship to fill the need for a friend. 

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.  Worldly friends and worldly advice will corrupt you.

- Let us follow what Jesus did.  Let’s pray. 

My life is different from yours.  Your life is different from mine, but the area around the throne of God where we kneel to talk to Him doesn’t recognize where we came from, it welcomes all of our knees and God hears all of His children’s voices.  He knows our crushed spirits and He rushes to be the One to fill that need.  So we really can’t be upset with Him if He can’t find room to help us if we have put pills, drink, social media and music in His place. 

- Do not try to fill the void for the sake of filling the void. 

There is only peace to be found when we go to God, just as we are; broken, crying and lonely.  He can and WILL fill your need.  He has overcome everything that is causing it.

Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

You know what Jesus was?  He was content with what He had when He was alone.  He had God!  What more did He need?

Are you alone?  Are you feeling lonely? Be content!  You have God!  I urge you to prove God that He will meet that need.  I tried this yesterday and I went to sleep last night in peace.  Did I cry?  Sure!  I miss my children!  But God met a deeper need.  A need for a supernatural fellowship found only in prayer.

Go get to know Him, go pray!

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment