Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Too Big for Your Britches!



Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

While studying this morning, I couldn’t get away from the phrase, “spirit of your mind” and kept going back to it. I stopped, looked out my open window and just listened to the sounds of the Lord’s creation and prayed for the ones who would read this post. As I prayed out loud, the birds began to sing louder it seemed and more of them gathered.  And then, it stopped….all the sounds of the singing birds with the exception of those from afar off. It was then I decided to pray differently, thanking my God for His sounds and His beauty. God gives to us exactly what we need and when we need it. If only we would remember that while we walk in His steps today. The mind…….is wonderful when it is renewed.  How in the world can our minds be renewed? I’m glad you asked. 

My Dad had some pretty awesome idioms he used with all of us children. One of his favorites was “Youngin’, you are too big for your britches!” Another one was “Drop your drawers ‘cause I’m going to beat your butt!”  I’ve repeated some in my life time while others cannot be repeated unless I didn’t care to keep my job as a Principal. I probably would be arrested! I’m sure Dad learned these from his dad and the many relatives of the Baxley clan.  With large families such as ours, one can be pushed aside while others seem to get all the attention. The younger ones usually found something else to do while the others sat around with large white coffee cups sipping hot coffee, smoking cigarettes (sorry, just being honest) or pulling out the guitar to strum along with a story. I was somewhere in the middle…..listening and taking in as much as I could, mesmerized by Slim Whitman who would oft times join our family on the front porch honoring us with his presence. It was at these times I picked up the family secrets, funny idioms and quietly folded them to another time and place. In my mind, my ideas and desires were not important to anyone older than me, but God knew me and I knew Him. We were one in the Spirit. He offered to me a firm foundation for life and thought enough about me, to place me in His work for which I do not deserve.  In short, I am important to God and SO ARE YOU even when others around you seemed to be MORE important. 

When we begin to think we are more important than others we get “too big for our britches!” Davy Crockett, “king of the wild frontier” is given credit for this phrase as he described Andrew Jackson.  I like Davy Crockett and use his saying with the little ones in our school and with the older teens.  May I slip in the fact that America has become “too big for her britches” as well! We are in trouble, people, as a nation. God has a way to knock us flat when we think we have arrived! Our minds are topsy turvy, inside out, upside down, and screw ball wrong!!! It’s time for a renewing of the spirit of our minds and it must begin in me, you, and the others sitting around drinking coffee.

The mind is a precious tool for God to develop for His work. Without the brain we cannot control the other organs of our body. The Bible records in Ephesians 4:23, And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

Satan always attacks the mind and the sooner we understand that, the sooner we are on our way to thinking more like God would have us to think. You and I cannot, CANNOT, give him room to deceive us any longer. It is time to get up and make a difference for those with whom we have an influence. You and I who are born again, have the power and He, who is the Holy Spirit, comes with His illumination to give us eyes that see differently and ears that hear differently than our natural eyes and ears which are always bent toward evil thoughts.

Put away the world’s books, the world’s viewing of television, the world’s viewing of music and give yourself an opportunity for God to “renew the spirit of your mind.” It CAN happen unless we are “too big for our britches” and refuse God’s way.

Sheri has opened a door to you "Let's Talk to Him" in joining with others to pray for those who are in need. Now, folks, this takes a spirit who is willing to quit thinking about self, and zero in on another’s need. If we will STOP talking about all the woes of our own, and START praying for others, we will become renewed in the spirit of our minds…..minds like Christ! It WILL take work. Sooner than you think, you will become quiet, listening to others while joining your hand to God’s hand, smiling up at Him one in the Spirit!

As Daddy would say, “All you need is one eye and half sense to figure this out!” OR….. “I can spit tobacco farther than your brain works!” Oh me……I’m in trouble! Let's get our brains to working by the power of the One created it for HIS purpose, not ours!

Until next time, Lord willing…

Sharon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words this morning. I was having a stressful day already and it wasn't even 6 o'clock! As I read your post other people who I knew needed prayer came flooding in my mind. As I prayed for them, my stress level was reduced greatly! I know I was lead to read your post earlier then I usually do and once I did... I knew that is exactly what I was suppose to hear! Thank you for your words... It hit the spot this morning and that was exactly what I needed!!

    ReplyDelete