Friday, April 3, 2015

It's Almost Easter!




1Th 5:12-15 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

This time of the year, Easter, brings with it memories of my early life as a Christian. It is important to get the right feeding when first becoming a Christian, just like a new born baby. Everything from those first few moments and the next few days will make a big difference in a young child’s health. It all depends on receiving the right kind of feeding. Jesus had already told His followers of His death, but it didn’t resonate until later, after His resurrection.

Do you remember when you were first saved? The Word of God was fresh, challenging and so inviting.  Do you remember how you wanted to tell all your friends about your true Friend, Jesus Christ? I remember, and keep it alive within me especially during the times of trial while thoughts of failure come and as the challenges become overwhelming. I can’t relate to Paul’s trials while he ministered to people and was on the run for his life, but I CAN imagine how he felt at times. We all can relate as we live for the risen Savior.

The very first person I ever witnessed to was my best friend, Judy. She and I were only 13 years old. Our families were distant cousins…..how distant, I don’t know. We knew to NOT ask questions. Being country folks can bring with it many surprises when cousins, friends, aunts and uncles all congregate at Grandma’s house and all of a sudden, someone asks, “Now who was your Mama? She was kin to so and so, right?” And off we would go trying to figure out if “so and so” was already kin to us through another relative. It’s best to not know sometimes. Judy and I became best buds as we spent hours at each others home. It was easy sharing with Judy since we had so many of the same interests. In time we grew as soul winners. Our youth group was strong, closely knitted and hungry to know God’s Word as we met, planned and worked at getting the gospel out to our small town of Drs. Inlet, Florida. I didn’t know that just one year later, our family would pack up and leave Clay County to move to Marion County. God had a plan for my life and that summer was one of lasting growth.

Our Pastor, Brother Joe May and his lovely wife, spent hours training and entertaining all of us young people. I look back at those days and remember how much we all ran, literally, to the church house. We wanted to be together. We loved singing, laughing, eating together and playing as well. The time of study, discussion and work followed but usually there were a few who squirmed themselves free to go and do something else. I’ve often wondered where those few are today who didn't take advantage of God's feeding.

The early days after you and I lead someone to the truth, we must keep feeding them to keep them alive and ready to hear God for themselves. The right kind of teaching and attention is essential to a new born Christian as the right kind of nutrients are important to a baby’s growth. May I share with you my heart?

I was an introvert, the oldest of nine children. There wasn’t time for Sharon because there was always another child in need or another one on the way. Even though Daddy divorced my biological mom, he married again within a year and 10 months later my baby brother, Tony was born. Three of my siblings lived in another home together and were to be adopted by a wealthy family, so all nine of us never lived under the same roof. The story is too long and besides, you have your own story. Right?
God has never allowed me to forget those difficult but amazing days and while remembering, I am blessed beyond measure because in my early days as a Christian, I received proper feeding. God saw to it! He is beyond our own reasoning, folks. Remember that while you face obstacles in your life. It can ALL work out for His good, not necessarily like the TV actor predicts or depicts the perfect life!
New Christians are fragile and may not know how to keep their heads from bobbling back and forth. They may not know how to sit up and take charge of their lives.  We have to help them. Don’t be too critical of those who wobble trying to walk in the Spirit. Help them! Don’t be too condescending when they come up with some off the wall thought and in reality think they have discovered a new revelation from God! Just point them back to the Word. 

The Word of God is full of nutrients, vitamins, solid milk, if you please.  Psalm 119: 15, “I will delight myself in thy statues: I will not forget they word.”
1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.

Kindness and patience will go a long way with new Christians, especially with young people. Don’t you just love their dancing eyes, their energy, and their innocence? This day could be the grand, successful beginning of the rest of a person’s life, in Christ IF WE FEED THEM PROPERLY. How is your strength for today? Have you feasted on His Word, yourself? Easter is a good time to remember your own salvation and your own time of making some life changing decisions. May I encourage you today, to do exactly that for someone else! You will not have to look far for God already has someone in mind in whom may need to be fed by His Words, which you, my friend, hold in your hands. Pass it on. Don’t allow yourself to pass over that one who Christ died for and remember, someone had to take the time to tell you. Sunday is the Day to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. HE IS ALIVE, my friend. KEEP HIM ALIVE BY REMEMBERING and SHARING!
Until next time, Lord willing!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment