Thursday, April 16, 2015

Don't rot in the fruit bowl!



Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Recently I did a small study on the words I found in my Bible reading that started with "re".  There were some great little truths to be found as I dug around and dwelled on the thoughts shared for us by our God in His Word.  Words like, Rejoice, Relied, Refuseth, Removed, Receive, Respect and the word for today, "renew". 

I am so looking forward to you being able to read Mom's next few posts from Psalms 119.  God knows where we are all at and what we all need.  I had this passage on my heart last week and didn't realize it would be something very useful in my own life.  It is good to go back and "RE" member all that we have read and sometimes taken for granted isn't it?

One verse in my study which is very often quoted and preached on is Isaiah 40:31.  As I looked at the familiar verse and the word "renew", I saw that the Hebrew word used there was different from the other verses in the O.T. that used renew.  It brings the idea of restoring something that is decayed.  This made me stop and pause for a moment to think of all the times I have felt parts of my spiritual life have decayed.  Maybe because of sin, lack of caring for a specific area or defeat from a trial.  Have you ever felt that way?  Decayed?

The word decayed makes me think of my fruit bowl when some kiwis or apples have gone bad.  It starts stinking, and the flies start having a party around it.  When the fruit is all nasty, it is time to throw it out and wash the bowl, so clean fruit can replace it and a good smell restored.  It is no different for you and me.  When our attitude has soured, our prayers begin to stink, our lives begin to rot and we need a thorough washing of our hearts.  Not salvation again, but restoration back to cleanliness.

Let me share this thought with you, we ALL feel broken from time to time.  We ALL have bad days.  We ALL fail miserably in our pursuit of knowing God better.  The key is not to sit and wallow (or waller if you are from the South) in it.  You can be restored from that decay.  You just have to look at your position the way God sees it and then do what He commands you to do, by faith that He will take care of the "renewing" part.

If you feel broken today, may I suggest that you take the time to get alone with God and explain yourself?  Don't let it be a one sided conversation, be honest with Him and then let Him speak to you.  I doubt He will send a plane by that writes in the sky a detailed list of instructions, but He will use the Holy Spirit residing in you to lead you to the right Scripture, or the right person that will point you to the right Scripture.  All of that rottenness you feel in your spirit can be remedied today, if you step out on faith and ask God to restore you.  I promise, God will keep His promises!

Enjoy this week in the Lord, don't live it feeling broken and rotten.

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment