Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Place with God



Psalms 68:6 God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

Last week I found some turnips for sale at the store.  I was very happy with my find and bought two packages of them to take home and cook.  The next morning as I began preparing lunch I pulled out my turnips, cleaned them and put them on the stove to cook with a potato and some greens.  Soon my kitchen was smelling like my grandma’s house did when I was a kid.  I also put an eggplant casserole on to bake which is another recipe I learned at the knees of my Grandma Miller.  All morning long I had the sense of good memories and happy times.  I thought on how often I would cross the cow pasture to Grandma’s and sit in her kitchen talking while she played solitaire or quilted.  Sometimes we would go pick blackberries and make dumplings together and she would tell me about her childhood and the depression days.  As I smelled those turnips and eggplants cooking, I almost felt like I was standing in her kitchen and chatting with her, although she has been with Jesus now for years.  When I think of “home” I think of Grandma Miller’s kitchen.

When I read verse 6 in Psalms 68, I wondered what it meant for God to set solitary in families, so I studied it and found it means that God makes people at home.  The writer is reminding us that just like with Israel, coming out of Egypt, found a “place” with God, you and I can too.  Even if we are actually “homeless” we are at home with God.  Peace and contentment can ALWAYS be found with God if we seek after Him and not our own ways.

As a missionary I often feel like the odd man out.  Whether I am in the US or here in Brazil.  I don’t fit in anywhere.  My children have expressed similar feelings.  It is just part of the life we lead and I don’t feel sorry for myself, I am just trying to illustrate something in real life terms.  And the fact is, even though I don’t feel “at home” anywhere, I do feel at home in God.  No matter what our circumstances may be, we have a place with God.

Did you read what I just wrote?  YOU, my friend, if you are saved and on your way to Heaven, have a PLACE with God Almighty.  You are His “dear one”, His “darling” and He wants you to feel safe and secure IN HIM.  He draws a comparison to what those who don’t obey Him feel….He says they will dwell in a dry land.  Have you ever been in rebellion against God?  I have.  It is a dry, lonely, and destitute place isn’t it?  Ugh!  Why would we seek after that? 

I encourage you to think on where you are dwelling this week.  Remember how mom wrote about God being our dwelling place?  Are you still dwelling in Him?  If you are in a dry spot, He says He will bring you out of that place where you are being held prisoner by the chains of your sin.  He is patting the seat beside Him telling you to come on back to your “place”. 

Seek God and do His will and I promise you, you will fit right in!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment