Wednesday, April 8, 2015

No Lies



Hebrews 6:18-20 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

I can't remember the first time I read this verse, but I remember the feeling I had when I realized, on my own, that God could not lie.  Matter of fact, any time that I meditate on this passage of Scripture I feel tears welling up inside of me.  It is just a glorious thought, that God has never, and will never lie to anyone.  It is the opposite of His true character. 

Our "Weekend Getaway" was to read Hebrews 6.  Did you get the chance to get away with the Lord?  I hope so.  Seeing as how it was Easter and our thoughts were on His Resurrection, I believe that we can lay hold of that hope in the Gospel and what Jesus Christ did for us.  It is to be an anchor for us!  Not an anchor to stop in our Christian life, but an anchor of our hope of Heaven and all that God Himself has promised us as Christians, because He cannot lie.

I worked as a security guard for a while in college.  I pulled the 2am - 7am shift at the front door and always had to find something to keep me awake and alert because not too many people came through during those wee hours of the day.  Sometimes I would be in a hurry to get to the desk and forget to grab anything to work on, so I would thumb through the security book which held all the pictures of people "banned" from campus for one reason or another.  One particular night I found myself with nothing to do and I rummaged through the desk drawers.  There was a single piece of paper with the picture of some poor chap who had recently been expelled and we were to call security if he showed up at the door.  Well, because it was a photocopy and the only other thing in the drawer was a pen, I began drawing a beard on his face, along with some long hair and etc.  I made it through my shift without falling asleep and made it to my 8 am class where I promptly forgot all about it.  When I went to chapel an announcement was made for the entire security personnel to meet with our Chief in a certain room for a mandatory urgent meeting.  I wanted lunch, and I was tired from my shift, but I couldn't miss the meeting, so I went.  Our chief was a rather large man and although jovial, he could be very serious and it was the serious side that came out as his face reddened in anger when he spoke.  I sat up and paid attention.  To my absolute horror, he held up my artwork from the night before.  He went on to berate all of us for the idiocy in not taking our jobs seriously.  He asked everyone who it was that had drawn on the document.  Silence fell as he and others look around the room.  I would like to tell you that I raised my hand and took my punishment, but I didn't.  I just sat there, stoned face and said nothing. The world didn't come to an end and my thought was, "hey, if they don't have a picture of me drawing on it, then they have absolutely no proof", so I lied.  To this day, I have no idea if they ever found out it was me. 

Humans lie.  We omit, we finagle and finigle and squirm our way out of situations and sometimes we flat out lie.  No picture, no proof.  It is a part of our sinful nature.  No matter how we want to justify our lies, they are still lies.  But you know something, we can't ever put that sinful characteristic on God.  He can't lie.  He won't lie.  He doesn't have a sinful nature.  He is Holy.  So why do we treat Him like a liar?

Everyday we act like God is not going to complete His promises.  We mope around and act like we don't have a Heavenly Father watching over us and caring for us!  He promised us that He would not leave us, so why do we lie and say we are alone?  He promised us that He is our hope, so why are we depressed and live like we have none?  We are calling Him a liar by our actions.

Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit would guide us into all truth. (John 16:13) He isn't going to lead us to lies.  Whenever something makes you doubt God, that something is from the devil.  Reject it.  Just this past week I felt myself beginning to think about something and immediately I felt the prick of the Holy Spirit of God telling me that it was not true.  I began quoting Scripture in my heart and within a few minutes I felt the thoughts of lies leave me.  We are in a spiritual battle with powers we cannot see, so we must not let our sin tainted flesh do our thinking for us!  We need to develop some spiritual character and think on the Truth. 

What has God promised that He cannot lie about?  I would list some for you, but I want you to stop and think on the Scripture.  Be encouraged with what God has said. 

Jesus will come back.  He will take us with Him.  He will send the lost to hell.  Those thoughts alone should thrill you and make you get up off your lazy rear end and be busy about telling others about Him.  Don't make God a liar through your actions of tolerance to sin.  Let's get to know Him and then tell others the TRUTH about Him!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment