Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Life Changing Thoughts for the Woman in the Change of Life



Ps 119:1 ¶ ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

I did not know when I wrote this blog that Sheri had chosen Psalm 119 for the Week-end Get Away last week and for that I am convinced God is leading us day by day to write what He tells us to write. It is very important to have God's ear while He has your ear at the same time. He will walk with you and talk with you as the song says, AND He WILL tell you that YOU are His OWN!

In my early forties it was not uncommon for me to get home at midnight after driving a van full of athletes from a late night of coaching basketball, volleyball or softball. It just depended on the season. Because I am an early riser, I adjusted my time, jumped up only to begin the process all over again the next day. My schedule became more and more intense. I loved the screaming energetic girls and the excitement after a difficult challenge especially when the score was in our favor. I knew my day of coaching would end eventually but I have to admit I loved it! I was beginning to see some signs that my body was tiring, wearing down if you please and I was not sleeping very well. Even now, I don’t sleep like most women do. My doctor says, “It’s just you. Your body has accustomed itself to less sleep.” I was surviving but not thriving.  I had all the warning signs of a train wreck in slow motion and then one day, it happened. I had my first mini stroke. 

For a few minutes in my life for which I shall never forget, I lost my memory (oxymoron) but I did remember the extension number to the main office of the school where Stephanie, my daughter, was working. I didn't understand it, but my body was shutting down quickly. I thought I was going to die.

If you are reading this and you have had an experience where you didn’t know where you were and who you were, it can be pretty terrifying. I have more respect for women who have gone through similar episodes. My body was preparing me for the change in my life and I wasn’t ready to move on and I actually rebelled against it.  After spending the night in the hospital and going through some extensive testing, I knew more adjustments in the circle of my life were about to happen. I was prescribed hormone replacement and to that I really rebelled. I tossed those in time desiring to go the natural route. One doctor appointment after another and one test after another all pointed to that dreadful word, “menopause” or as Grandma would call it, the change of life! Doom had arrived. Thank you, Eve!

Ok, I’m getting older. I get that. Check! I need something to balance my emotions. I get that. Check! My next question was, “How long does it take for a woman’s hormones to get in balance?” Isn’t there an overnight fix or something? When a tire is out of balance it just takes a little moving around of the threads. Right?  I’ve heard of women actually taking a shot of whiskey each night just to relax, but I was a Christian and wasn’t inviting Jack Daniels for a sleep over!

The urge to take off running....anywhere.... came. The urge to kill (scary) crossed my mind. The urge to scream happened more than once. Been there? The urges were more and longer in duration. I was actually doing ok, as long as I was close to an escape route to get outside……anywhere away from people. I’m just being honest with you, friend, because I want you to know what God did for me when I cried out to Him for help. The hot flashes were bad but not as overpowering as I have heard some women experience. Actually, hot flashes can come with a lot of energy if you can think while they make their attack on your body. 

Husbands try to understand, but husbands do NOT understand! God bless us each and every one!!

Before I give you a plan to consider while going through the change of life or menopause, please do not misunderstand my intentions. God’s Word is not a magical wand for which we can pick up, wave and say a few hail Marys’! No! Ten thousand times…..NO! My desire is to share with you what worked for me and not only worked for me at that time of my life, but has continued to be the stepping stone of other solutions to a variety of problems women face today in this crazy, wacky world! And you know what? It is free! Doesn't that just flip your wig?

My plan includes the Word and Words of God, Himself, whispered in a time of urgent need. Do you remember the first time your husband kissed you? Now, go ahead and try to remember and don’t be so self -righteous and skirt around this question because I want you to get a picture of comfort. Do you remember when he would call you on the phone? In my day the phone was smack dab in the living room for EVERYONE to hear the conversation. There was nothing like those first conversations of getting to know each other. Remember? May I add that there is nothing as comforting as a few words from someone you love and who loves you.  Now, let’s see if we can hear God’s Word speaking to you, dear lady, as you may need Him desperately, right now. If you don't need Him right now, you will. Trust me.

The study of Psalm 119 saved my life! I couldn’t breathe back then. Been there? I couldn’t read a lot of scripture in one sitting during this time of my life, but I could read a portion of Psalm 119. Been there as well? Psalm 119 became alive to me because the Words became my prescription for the day! Each day God gave me His prescription. It isn’t magic. It isn’t a new way of approaching God’s Word. It isn’t a new translation or version of the scriptures. It isn’t a fix or hormone adjustment and certainly not a new revelation from God. No, it is much more than man can ever think of, invent or prescribe.

It, He, became as real to me during those months and following years as the very breath in my body. The next blog I would like to share step by step a simple plan that just may save your life or someone else's life. I am not a writer. I am a sharer….is that a word? I make mistakes. I talk funny but I am real and I can tell you one thing, “God is able to deliver the one who thinks there is no hope or who thinks she cannot be delivered! He can and will meet every stinking need you have, dear friend because He LOVES you more than life!"When was the last time you quoted John 3:16? That's how much He loves YOU.

Until next time, Lord willing

Sharon

2 comments:

  1. God is an ever present help. Like you, I kept a hectic schedule for years then my body fell apart. I have trusted God as my Savior since childhood, but rarely trusted Him to run my life. Now, I talk to Him about the day-to-day stuff, but I still find myself reluctant to hand over the reins. I also believe that God will give us wisdom as to what we need. About 6 months ago, I started on a magnesium supplement for seizure control and was totally surprised by all the other benefits. Being a nurse, I am familiar with the need for good nutrition, but never expected one single mineral would make such a dramatic difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that about magnesium lately from my aunt. Mom, this is really good. You had me laughing at 5am in my quiet house. THIS is going to be something that can help a lot of us. I'm actually looking forward to menopause! :)

    ReplyDelete