Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Consider and Provoke



Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Christians are infamous for quoting this verse and not obeying it.  We, (especially Independent Fundamental Baptists) like to see ourselves as having attained some plain of higher spiritual existence whereby we gaze down on all the poor souls beneath us who have not known Christ like we have.  Surely someone who didn't attend the same Bible college or listen to the same preachers could never know the spiritual pleasures of walking with the Almighty that we have known....at least I know I have felt looked down upon from such high and lofty people, haven't you?  And I reckon I am just as guilty of peering down my nose on occasion as well.  I can sum this all up in one word:  Flesh.

Our flesh wars against what the Spirit tells us to do.  The Spirit of God leads us to pray, humbly, yet boldly.  Our flesh says, "Perform, put on an act, pretend that you pray."  The Spirit of God tells us to serve, love and provoke one another unto love and good works.  Our rotten nasty old flesh says, "What is good for the goose is good for the gander, let your fellow brother suffer!  He brought it on himself.  Had he been a good little Christian like you are, he never would be facing these consequences.  Let him writhe in his pain." 

We consider our fellow brother and sister just long enough to judge them and criticize them, but never in a desire to provoke them to love and unto good works.

We are truly an awful lot of believers.  We turn our face from those with difficult problems that take longer than the 15 minutes we have to "befriend" them.  I put that word in quotes because a real friend is there as long as one needs them.  We get tired of counseling someone who won't listen to Truth, so we shrug our shoulders when we see them paying the price.  But what if we decided to really pray for people?  I wonder what lives would begin seeing a change.

My dad has taught me more about prayer than any biography I have ever read about George Mueller or John R. Rice.  Yes, they were great men, but I have seen my dad pray.  When someone is sick, heart broken, dying, in despair, has wayward children, lost loved ones, etc.  and they ask my dad to pray, he prays.  Not just one time, not in general, but he gets specific about it and goes to the throne of God until something happens.  Dad is a perfect example of Hebrews 10:24.  He listens to people.  He considers them.  He gives them godly advice and then he goes the second mile and prays as if the problem were his own.  To me, that is provoking unto love.  When I have a problem and Dad says he will pray, my heart is lightened and I feel a love towards him and towards Christ.  He provokes me to want to do the same for others.

What are you provoking people to today?  Are you constantly looking for ways to reinterpret what they have said to you until you find fault?  Are you so jealous of your sister that you can't see that they love the Lord and are just trying their best to serve Him?  Are you so filled with pride that you can't ever see past your own selfish ways to really concern yourself with people that need a friend?  Am I hitting any nerves?  I want to provoke myself to more love and good works and in turn be able to provoke others to love more. 

I leave you with a quote from a book called, "The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached" by Pastor Tom Brennan.  This quote provokes me to pray.  I hope it does you as well.

" God likes to be asked.  Roll that thought around in your mind for a while before your eyes hasten along the page.  He is not annoyed by our requests.  He does not view us as bothersome little creatures rightfully beneath His notice, taking up too much of His valuable time.  He enjoys when we come to Him to meet our needs instead of turning elsewhere.  It warms His heart toward us."

Friends, if God sees us like that, why can't we see our sisters that way as well?  Let's not be annoyed by them, but let's be thankful they are at least searching for help.  Let's open our hearts and point people towards this loving God who NEVER turns His back on us. 

If you want to be part of a prayer group and not just give requests, but really commit to praying, message me on facebook or by way of email.  If we will gather together, HE will be in our midst!  Let's see some things happen for the cause of Christ.  Time is short.

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment