Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sensitive to the Word of God



Ne 8:4-6 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam. And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up: And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

While Studying Nehemiah 8, I came to verse 4 and a visional of Ezra came into focus standing high enough for all the people to see and to hear him. The Word of God had an immediate effect on the people.  They stood as the Word was read, and for hours they stood. I’m sure the reverence for God’s Word was taught by the example of God’s man and the parents of all those children who attended as well.
They were sensitive to the Words of God!

Just recently a Mom asked the question, “How can I get my son to be more faithful in reading the scriptures every day? I’m not sure if he is reading as he should.”  I listened to the familiar concern as this wasn’t the first time that a mom was worried for her teen.  I asked this question, “When did YOU begin to read, daily and what prompted you to be faithful?”

She thought back and smiled, “Well, I saw my parents reading in the mornings when I got up. The house was quiet, so I just started doing the same thing. Besides, my mom would check on me.”

“How did she check on you?”
“She would ask me, ‘What did you get out of your devotions today?’ and she waited until I told her.”  Uhmmmmnnn…..

“Were you tempted to not read daily and if so, what pushed you away?”
“Music and friends. Music, mostly, but Mom would come in and just look at me totally disappointed.” Uhmmmmnn…

This mom was beginning to see what she might try rather than just preach “at” her teen-ager. She discussed doing some things differently:

1. Place herself in the house so her teen could see that she was studying.
2. Discuss the scriptures with him periodically.
3. Ask him to share his own devotions at family altar.
4. Make sure the home was quiet early in the morning AND that her son was up early enough to read God’s Word.

I don’t know about you, or your friend who may have a teen that struggles with daily Bible reading, but remember they must be taught and held accountable for their actions.  If they are not taught they will not learn. If they are not held accountable, they won’t do it, and therefore they will miss out on a personal, close walk with their Savior. Every teen-ager desires to be needed by someone and longs to know an intimate God. They just, sometimes, don’t know how to go about it! Funny, because they think they know everything, right? It is a dangerous decision to NOT hold them accountable. I have many teens say to me, “I just wish my parents cared enough to ask me.” At the same time, I’ve had parents say, “I just wish my kids would let me talk to them about spiritual matters.”  Somebody has to make the first step and it probably should be the adult? 

Keep them sensitive to the Word of God.

I would like to add a little more to these thoughts this Friday, Lord willing.....

Until next time,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment