Monday, June 8, 2015

Deception: UGH!



Ro 3:13-18 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways:  And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes.

“Whoa Ginny!” as Grandpa would often say right before a potential collision. God has already warned us of the progression of events that WILL take place if we listen to deception. How do we know it is deception?  Just like a bank teller knows her money…..got to know the real thing, folks! I can’t get my face out of Nehemiah. Read with me the following scripture:

Ne 6:1-4 ¶ Now it came to pass, when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies, heard that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though at that time I had not set up the doors upon the gates;) That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me mischief. And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you? Yet they sent unto me four times after this sort; and I answered them after the same manner.

There is a funny commercial of a farmer who owns a free range chicken and the chicken travels around the world but sends pictures back to his owner. Maybe you have seen it. The owner says, “He just keeps sending these pictures,” while he and his wife look down on their phone and then back to each other.  I thought of Nehemiah because he just keeps sending the same message even after four times of constant harassment from the enemies’ vultures!  Nehemiah recognized deception. Just because we are women doesn’t mean we cannot recognize the deceiving manner of our enemy. Watch out!

Be prayed up, read up, and get up before you are deceived to give up!

It takes a strong woman, like you, to make a difference in the lives of those around you. Remember Eve. I know she gets blamed for too much, but we have to look back and ask ourselves, “Why was she deceived?” She took her ears and eyes away from the range of her Father AND husband. Too many women are responsible for leading a family in the wrong direction simply because of deception. I see it too often!

A family will sit in front of me at an interview and the Mom takes over. She loves her child, wants to protect her child and is in my face asking questions and frankly, I’m glad. Then, I get to the part about spanking and what the Bible says about discipline, correction, obedience, etc. The mom gets tense and looks at her husband for support, while Dad just smiles but then gets nervous because he is not sure what his wife is going to say.  I chuckle even as I write this, because it happens too frequently.

“Well, we don’t spank in our home. We discuss the problem and reason with our child,” she declares as the child breaks the crayons, knocks my coffee over, crawls under my table and tries to paint my pink toenails with a black magic marker! Oh me…..deception! If you know the Word of God, then the decision has already been made…..no problem, right? Wrong! We deceive ourselves in believing that we have a better way. If you don’t know what God has already said about a matter, then find out.

God’s Word is the best counseling book you will ever need.

Keep Bibles visible in your home, if you don’t already. At least your family will see it and then, hopefully, hear it as you open it up with your family each day.  Family devotions seem to be more of a past blessing than it is today. Do you know why? Deception! We have allowed “other things” to take our eyes away from what really matters. Remember Eve. Don’t forget!

You and I can have the same wisdom as Nehemiah! Just ask God to lead you, step by step but DO WHAT THE WORD SAYS!

By the way, the Dad in the interview above said to me, “My mom used to spank me but my wife doesn’t like to use spanking as discipline. She sees it as abuse.” He wasn’t deceived but as a weak man, allowed his wife to believe a lie.  I explained what spanking really was and then I described “abuse” for what it really was…..and it helped somewhat. The child received his first spanking in our school. When the mom came I handed her the paddle and she said to me, “Oh, you want ME to spank him? I thought you did that?”  “No mam, you do.” I walked away as I usually do, knowing that it was going to be difficult for her to do what was right.  It was difficult, but life “ain’t easy” and could get a whole lot harder if we don’t do what God’s Word has already said. Don’t be deceived. By faith, take action and have a blessed day in the Lord!

"Lord, help me to hear and see YOU, therefore, I WILL NOT  be deceived."
Until next time, Lord willing!

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment