Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Don't Leave Your First Love



Mr 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Re 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
Re 2:3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
Re 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

As I left my small apartment in Jever, Germany, I anticipated the sheer joy of sitting and writing while watching the ducks and small children play in the park. I loved the feel and sound of the cobblestone road as my shoes tapped each step that led me into town. The morning snow was not heavy but I knew it would not be long before the tiny streets of golden bricks and stone would turn to a muddy snow covered mess and I would have to run back to my apartment. I only remember one day that year when the sun caused such warmness that I had to remove my sweater….only one day. For a Floridian, that was difficult. 

When you are 19, married, and living in another country, life can be pretty complicated OR adventurous! I chose the latter. I wanted to know everything and everyone whether German, American, British, whoever….. didn’t matter to me. People were interesting, different from one to another and I wanted to know WHY. Knowing our Lord and Savior as a 19 year old helped me to love people even when they made fun of my dark skin, funny southern drawl, and my weird laugh. God made me and He has made you. Smile and thank Him today for creating you for His purpose!

A young girl from our church turns 19 today, while I write this blog. She is precious, innocent and a creation of our God. She serves Him. Thinking about her and wishing her a Happy Birthday, I wrote on her post, “You can’t go wrong by being right with your Lord, Jesus Christ.” I thought on what I had said, reminiscing those early, formative years in my own personal life and said a hearty, “AMEN” to the advice.  I am concerned that so many who are born again have lost their first love, not lost their salvation, but lost their love….that first love…..that pouring out to God each and every day…..that seeking His face early before the light of day takes our eye sight to other directions…..that yearning to be near Him, feeling His breath upon your cheek…..that newness of life…..that ADVENTUROUS journey where Christ holds our hands, smiles at us and says, “Let’s go to the park today and talk. Let’s share with each other our hearts”……..that “can’t wait” to see Him…..can’t wait to hear His Word…..can’t wait to share His Word with others…..

If you struggle today with anything, ANYTHING, think back to that day when Christ reached out to you, called you to Himself and you received Him as your personal Savior…..think, reminisce, ponder, if you will and DON’T FORGET YOUR FIRST LOVE! He hasn’t forgotten you!

The children ran past me but would turn to speak Dutch waiting for my response. I couldn’t speak back to them, but I would smile. My husband knew enough of their language to communicate, but I didn’t and felt somewhat alone. I wanted to learn German and in time, I found that it wasn’t as difficult as I had expected. It just took practice even when it turned out to be mumble, jumble. They would laugh but it was fun learning. A smile, a touch, a helping hand is really all I needed to get to know these strange people who wore coats and boots all the time. God began teaching me much about Himself while living with and around the German people of Jever.  I am so thankful for His watch care, His love for me even when as a 19 year old had no clue about life, its dangers and rewards. I only knew that I was born again and they weren’t! I knew I would have only this time to share with them and would never see them again, until heaven, if they received Christ.  

May I encourage you to stay warm hearted and zealous for people and their lost souls today because a cold Christian contributes to a cold church. We don’t want to be so religious that we will not show Christ to others.  Ask God to give you your love, your first love, back as you approach getting to know Him like you did the first moment when you received His gift of salvation. To the Church at Ephesus, Christ has spoken but let’s take heed to this great warning and keep the love of Christ dwelling in our hearts so much that the least of these my brethren will hear, and become part of God’s family. God’s people make the church; not the church make the people. There are way too many churches full of all the glamor, money, and beautiful buildings, but God calls to us, His people, to bid them to His house to hear the Word and become saved, learning, growing and reproducing themselves for the cause of Christ who loved the church and gave Himself for it.

Find your own spot, reminisce and begin to reach out……even in your own church. There is always that one special lady, alone, or a child who needs your warm smile. Christ works through us to touch their lives!

Until next time, Lord willing.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment