Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A United Heart


Psalms 86:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

On Monday I posted about affirming good doctrine in our lives.  Today I want to continue with that same line of thought as we continue this journey to getting to know God better.

In today’s Scripture we find the Psalmist asking God to teach him the LORD’S way and to unite his heart to fear God’s name.  When is the last time you or I have prayed that?  If you read the entire chapter you will hear the urgency and pleading of the words as he really wants God to do a work in his life.  I want God to do a similar one in my life, don’t you?

What does it mean to ask God to unite our heart?  This word is used in the idea of union.  Apparently our heart is not always in union with God, nor does it naturally fear Him.  It is something we need from the Lord.   It is astounding to me how often we are led astray by our hearts because they are NOT in union with God, His Word or His Spirit.

I just read a really good description of wisdom.  “Wisdom is seeing your life from God’s perspective rather than your own limited one and making your choices from His vantage point.” ~ Pastor Tom Brennan.  In order for us to have that type of wisdom and even the desire to see our lives from God’s perspective, we need to first ask God to unite our hearts to fear His name. 

If you and I get a “don’t care” attitude about our life, then we won’t fear God and we won’t have a desire to live our individual lives in His will.  And that is so dangerous.  Not just to us, but to those around us that we influence.  Do you realize that people, souls, actually will be cast into the lake of fire one day?  You and I are going to have to watch them, some family, some friends and those we refused to influence for Christ because we just “didn’t care”.

I think today our prayer as those seeking to know God better should be, “God, unite our hearts to fear thy name.”  Let’s get into an agreement with God about everything.  What does He think?  What does He desire?  We are too busy thinking about our wants and thoughts and don’t have time for His.  So let’s rise up and correct the problem.

Ask God to unite your heart with His.  Tell Him you don’t want a distracted heart or a divided heart, you want HIS heart. 

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment