Friday, November 27, 2015

Prohibited, or just warned?




Two little fellows were in trouble and it seemed the only way for me to get through this time was to take them on a mission of work detail! Both the same age from different classes, they took their bags and began picking up trash on the property.  One boy hunted the trash while the other glanced here and there. It was astounding to see the difference in the two. I just sat there under the pavilion watching them while pretending to do some work. I wanted to pick them up, hug them and send them on their way, but they had to learn a difficult lesson. Why is it that some get it while others do not? These children are just like us adults, aren’t they? God warns us in His Word but we just go on ahead and do our own thing and wham, the consequences come flooding in, don’t they and we ask ourselves, “Why?” knowing all along that if we had just been obedient such things would not come to pass.

Every problem has a solution if we try and look through the eyes of God’s Word. If we expect obedience from our children in the class or in our own ministry of the church, we must FIRST be obedient to our own authority, wouldn’t you agree? For a leader to leave home without FIRST getting into the instruction book of the Bible and SECONDLY, without falling on the knees in prayer is simply asking for a day of problems! We cannot ask others to do what we ourselves do not practice. God sees ALL! He expects us to be obedient……or we suffer consequences ourselves.

Reading this 21st chapter of Acts, I see a man in total obedience to God even when it appears he is warned to NOT go to Jerusalem.


 Ac 21:11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
Ac 21:12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.

Was Paul prohibited from going or was he just warned that these things will happen?

Watching the youngsters pick up the trash, I wondered which one would learn to obey and serve the Lord one day? Are they learning now or are they just going through the motions looking to the 3:20 bell to end so they can go and do as they wish? Not sure, but I did see that one of the boys had a unique eye for trash! He saw what the other did not see. One boy was lazy, while the other was not. There was character in the midst of the one rebellious boy and I needed to make note of it and work on it. The lazy boy just needed more trash to pick up for longer periods of time, I suppose.

Interestingly, I had given each boy a bag with handles, but one boy had a larger bag than the other. Did they think I expected them to fill their bags? I don’t know….I didn’t ask but one boy had much more in his bag than the other. We look at the task and think we cannot do it. We get loaded down with the “what ifs” don’t we. We stop before we ever get started.

One boy began to cry, while the other took off and got busy. I’m not sure who was learning a lesson…...the boys or me but I do know the character in one boy was one that I saw potential of steering in the right direction in order to make a strong leader among his peers.

Paul had character! Once upon a time, he consented in killing Christians. He believed in what he was doing was right until God slam dunked him! God saw something in Paul that could be directed to the good. What does God see in you? I ask myself that question often. To the Lord, I would see the small pieces of trash, walk the long hot trek and not give up until the day is done or until the Lord calls me home.

What do I know better about HIM in this Acts 21? I know that Paul listened and heard what his dear friends told him knowing that they were right in their decree of going to Jerusalem, but I also know that Paul’s ear was to the mouth of God and he was willing to die for Christ’s sake! Oh my, Paul, what character you had and what character I need!

Some commentators say that Paul was prohibited while others say he was warned. Either way, he went!

Sheri has entered into a ministry of reaching the “Bettys of the street” while fear grabs my throat, but she must listen to God and do as He commands. Pray for her and protection upon the family. Each of us have the opportunity to do the impossible but most will not, did you know that? Maybe the character to trek on is deep inside of you. What keeps you from taking the next step? Why not get to know HIM better than others think they know!

Until next time, Lord willing.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment