Monday, November 2, 2015

God is our Hiding Place



Psalms 71:3 Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.

When I was a little girl I loved inventing imaginary worlds where I would go and play.  I had a spot by the back shed where if I were to jump, I entered another realm and could be anyone I wanted to be. Sometimes my sister and I would get Mom’s red electric blanket and use it as a tent on the front porch.  We would hold up the edges with clay flower pots (and we broke more than a few!) Stephanie and I would pretend we were in a ship and there was a big whale in the water as we adventured along.  When I didn’t have anyone to play with I would hang upside down from the pear tree by my swing set and dream of someone coming by to ask me to be in the Olympics as a gymnast.  I would twirl and spin from the branches as if I was Nadia Comaneci herself.  Other times, I would stand and sing the Old Rugged Cross to the cows in the pasture between our house and my grandma’s as if I was the great George Beverly Shea in hopes that the Reverend Billy Graham would invite me to sing in his Crusades.  But, my favorite place to go and hide was up under the counter in the bathroom.  Mama had it covered with a curtain and since I was a small thing, I could fit quite nicely and hide.  I loved scaring my sister or mom as they walked by, but mostly I just felt safe there in my own little hiding place.

When I read Psalms 71:3, I am comforted by the fact that I can CONTINUALLY resort in the hiding place I have in God.  I can go there in the mornings as I read and pray.  I can return later and dwell in His presence after a trial or two (or three) and the best part is, it isn’t make believe.  I don’t have to hope He will shelter me, I know that He will.  I don’t have to do anything to gain entrance, I can just run to Him and hide.  There is no cost, no need to bring anything and no check out time.  Day or night, night or day, I am welcome in His presence. 

God isn’t tired from what is going on in the world.  He hasn’t grown old and sickly.  He is in control of what is happening in the Middle East and arranging events on our small little planet as the time draws near for His return.  He has heard all the private “closed door” conversations up on Capitol Hill and seen the House and Senate debate over issues that change the way America is headed.  He sees the lonely and starving in every 3rd world country and calls and sends missionaries to every corner of this world, yet He is still very available for you and me to run into His presence and resort there.

Isaiah 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

Psalms 24:8 Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.

If you are God’s child, you have a 24/7 pass to come into His presence.  One of these days when we are with Him face to face we are going to realize the time we wasted at Starbucks with a friend instead of with our Greatest Friend in prayer.  We will see Him as He truly is and we will wonder why we didn’t resort into our Hiding Place more often.

Over the coming weeks as we draw this year’s journey to a close, I am going shine a spotlight on the person of God so that you and I can think on Who it is that we are developing this relationship with together.  Today take with you the thought that He is your Hiding Place and you and run and hide there in His presence as much as you need.  You are welcome there, just scoot over and make room for me too!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri



No comments:

Post a Comment