Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Don't Touch or Taste the Pumpkin Pie!



The smell of pumpkin pies permeated Grandma Baxley’s home. On the back porch several different kinds of pies were cooling and we were warned, "Don't touch or taste the pumpkin pies. Stay away from them." It is awfully difficult to do right when there are so many kids around getting into one thing after another and this day was no exception. 

My cousins and I passed the table several times as we chased each other in and out of the house with Grandma on our trail as well. Grandma was determined that nothing was going to interfere with this Thanksgiving dinner. The house was full of people as they sat on the back porch, side porch and front porch. Out back was a bunch of smaller children running around like wild Indians but every chance we all had we took off for the back porch where the pies sat. They were strictly guarded but my Daddy loved  sweets more than I did and just couldn’t resist cutting into Grandma’s pumpkin pie. When I saw his pocket knife slice through the pie, I looked to see if he would share with anyone. He just smiled and motioned for me to go over and take a bite. Well, how could I resist my Dad!! Grandma was furious! She lit into Daddy and before we knew it, there was a crowd gathered to see who would win. 

Little did we know that Grandma already knew someone would be smelling around and eventually taste the pies before dinner. She and had another batch baking. I think my Dad knew and played dumb. Dad was her youngest boy and everyone knew that he was Grandma’s pet. She did a lot of tongue lashing but not whip lashing when it came to my Dad. So, off I went to find a hiding place with my piece of pie that I had been fortunate enough to hide behind my back while I watched Daddy get into trouble.

Grandma and Grandpa had a shift robe in their bedroom that was my favorite hiding place. I loved the smell of Grandma’s perfume and many of her clothes were hanging in that shift robe with the same smell. I crawled in with my pie to hide under Grandma’s dresses. When I finished the pie I reached for one of her old Bibles stuffed with old pictures and once again entered another world……just God and me.  I wasn’t saved at the time, but had a strong desire to know God. The Holy Bible was very important in my life even as a little girl. I carefully turned each page. There was something Holy, reverent and sacred about the Book! It was in my Grandma’s home that I learned to reverence the Word of God.

R. A. Torrey (along with John R. Rice) is one of my favorite writers and evangelist. He was only 74 when he passed on to Glory but the man was so very extraordinary and powerful in his preaching and teaching. I have learned to respect his love for God’s Word and have tried to capture every truth I can on the “fullness of power” of this Word of God as he wrote many sermons on the subject. He says that in order to have the fullness of power we must have the fullness of His Word, first. Without the Word, there is no fullness of anything that is holy and righteous. 

Ps 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

As I reread his sermon on the fullness, I was astounded at his wisdom. I don’t know about you, but as a woman I want to make a difference in my children’s lives, my grandchildren and those who surround me, don’t you? In order to have the right influence, we must have that kind of power spoken in Psalm 62:11. When I die, I want to be remembered as one who lived the Word and not one who rejected the Word. I think back to the many mistakes I have made in my younger years and I shiver to think of my influence for the bad or for the good. You and I WILL GIVE AN ACCOUNT.  

Lu 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Sometimes as Grandmothers and as mothers, we do not realize the influence of those watching us, do we? Oh to God, we would live as Christ lived! I am blessed beyond measure to have had a Grandma as I did. I keep her alive. Do you? If not, and she influenced you to the good, then share with your children. KEEP HER ALIVE. My Grandma kept Jesus before me without even trying. Do you know why? She was Him, exemplified! You and I may not shake Australia, England and America like R. A. Torrey but we sure can personify the same God Brother Torrey served, can’t we?

This Thanksgiving let’s give our relatives something to remember for years to come. If you can’t be with your children or grandchildren like me, you certainly can stay in touch by phone, by facebook, by skype or Instagram. Friend, we have no excuse, do we. Let’s get to know Him so that our children will know Him and serve Him before it is everlasting too late! I hope your Thanksgiving is the best ever with many pumpkin, sweet potato, coconut, chocolate, apple or peach pies!

Until next time, Lord willing
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment