Thursday, November 5, 2015

Let's just start over.



What a great day in the Lord when a lost soul comes to Jesus! Never would I dream to hear of so many people who tell me that they don’t go to church for whatever reason, but the one that just rips my heart out is this: “I have failed so miserably; surely if there is a God, He will not hear me ever again, ‘cause I just can’t do it!” Oh my soul, friend, you are the one He delights to strengthen and to help. He longs for you to lift your face and look up into His eyes and see His smile. We ALL have sinned and come short of God’s glory. None of us deserve His way of salvation, but He still offers it today just like He has for everyone before us. Look Up!


My beloved friend who lives in Heaven now, John R. Rice said and I quote, “People who try, do more than those who do not try. People who resolve do more than those who do not resolve. And however much you have failed in the past, the coming of the new year or of some special time of refreshing or conviction from God is an ideal time to start over again to live for God and to be what God wants you to be.”


And you know what…..you may not can go back to college at your age, or be the pastor or pastor’s wife you once dreamed of becoming, or a missionary in a foreign field, or WHATEVER…..but bless God YOU can be the best you can be, RIGHT NOW! Just get started…..again, my friend….just get started.


A young man ran into my office without knocking and said, “Mrs. Loyd, I remembered! I remembered!”


Looking up from my phone conversation with a parent I gave him the evil eye, but he walked over to my desk and placed his agenda before my eyes to show me that he remembered to write his assignments down AND to come and see me after school. I smiled but turned on the evil eye to remind him it was rude to just run into my place thinking he could just stop the world for his sorry self!!!  Isn’t that the way we think sometimes of people who constantly fail over and over?


But….like a good Principal, (I feel like the good neighbor of State Farm) I congratulated him on “remembering” because he has been told for too long that he has a memory problem when in reality he has a “character” problem which needed Jesus’ attention! He was so proud of himself that I hesitated to ask him the rest of the story.


“Did you remember to brush your teeth and make your bed this morning?”

“Yes, I made my bed, well, I folded my blanket. I didn’t brush my teeth but look at them. They don’t look too bad.”


 “That is not the issue, son. Do you want to have a mouth like mine and be missing several teeth, never to bite another apple in your life?”


“No mam!” He smiled and I said, “Give me your hand.” I wrote a “B” and a “P” in red on the top of his hand and continued with, “Now, the “B” is for Bible reading AND BRUSH your teeth. The “P” is for prayer. Tomorrow, let’s see if you can get up, make your bed, brush your teeth, read your Bible and Pray! Now Mr. BP man, get out of here and go for it!" He left happy that he had remembered. I saw his belt loops but no belt and just chuckled to myself and thought about calling him back to say that the “B” also stood for no belt but then again I didn’t want to push my luck!


                                               “He just has to get started with what he can do for right now.”


Folks, this is a true story….just happened but it is very typical of us as Christians, isn’t it? Bless that boy’s heart and bless YOUR heart as you get started doing something more for our Lord Jesus Christ.


There are several examples in the Bible of people who got a second chance or just plainly, “started over.”

1.       Jonah

Jon 3:1 ¶ And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
Jon 3:2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.


God gave Jonah another shot at doing what he should have done the first time. Maybe, you and I don’t have a second shot at something He has already commanded us to do, but we can offer ourselves to Him for a brand new start. He will use you! Because of Jonah’s second chance, Nineveh got her second chance! Goodness, friend, think about it. If you and I just sit back and feel sorry for ourselves there may be someone or someplace which needs a second chance as well. Just get up, and get started doing something God has burdened your heart to do. If you need guidance, ask for it. If you need a friend to help you, ask that friend, but don’t hesitate or you will conveniently forget just like my little fellow in our school. For too long he has believed that something was wrong with him, but it was just a matter of redirecting his “want to” and giving him an opportunity to see that he could remember.

Samson got a new start and it ended quickly, but what he did with God’s second chance was more than anyone would have dreamed possible.


2.      Samson

Jg 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.


The last example is one all of us can relate to and that is

3.      The Prodigal son.

Lu 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! Lu 15:18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

So, here we are. We have sinned against the Living God! He still forgives and He still loves giving His people “second chances.” Hurry up because you may just forget!


Until next time, Lord willing
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment