Monday, November 9, 2015

I Have Much People in this City!




I walked with Paul this morning and we came to the region of Galatia “and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia” and I wondered, “Why, Lord?” 

Paul’s heart was heavy for the churches as he traveled with the apostles encouraging as he went, but here in Asia he was stopped. Don’t you know the feeling when the Holy Spirit says, “No, Sharon, not now? Do as I say. Leave here and go yonder.”
Paul listened and by a vision saw what to do next. 

Ac 16:10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

Bless Luke’s heart! He joins Paul and Jesus and is now going to do a great work through these men as they obey the call to Macedonia. Don’t you just love it when Jesus is right in the middle of your life, so much, you can almost feel his breathing upon your face? I know it sounds scary and I don’t want to appear a saint because if anything, I am the worst of sinners! To be right in the middle of doing what God wants you to do may take you to the cross roads where you have to make a choice:  to go through the trial of your life, or take the easy road. Who wants to suffer? Who wants to do without? Who wants to walk on thorns, small stones, or suffer the pangs of almost drowning? Who wants to be beaten, spit at, kicked and left for dead? None of us! Right smack in the middle of God’s perfect will, you, my friend, might feel some of the awful trials that our dear, precious friends, Paul, Silas, Timothy and Luke, felt! So we ask “Why Lord?” or “What next, Lord?”

Just keep reading though! Into Acts 17 and 18 we see a grand stage with our Lord making another entrance of power and we fall down to our knees knowing that the rough road ahead is just a beautiful shining entrance to more souls prepared to enter the haven of rest that Jesus has now offered through His obedient servants. You may be at the very door of someone’s heart that is tender toward the things of God.

Pastor Joe May came to Drs. Inlet and the area of Middleburg, Florida stirring up the congregation of our Church of the Brethren. Many folks loved him but more hated him. He was bold as Paul preaching the truth of our Lord Jesus Christ. I happened to be attending the church and so desperately sought to be needed by someone who could help me do something worthwhile for God. I didn’t know it at the time, but my short stay with Pastor May and his lovely wife would only be approximately one and a half years. Then, our family would move to Marion County. I walked with Paul this morning as he ministered to the Corinthians. How precious of our Lord to appear to Paul thus confirming his ministry for a while, even a year and a half.

Ac 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace
Ac 18:10 For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.
Ac 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Praise God for Paul and praise God for Joe May! What do I know about Jesus? I know that He cares for even a poor teen-ager who desired to know more about Him and so does He care for YOU. What do I know about Him? I know that He could trust Paul to go through the fiery darts of death and come close to his last breath and NOT give up. Paul, I’m sure was afraid wouldn’t you imagine? I think of my Pastor Joe May and knew that his sweet wife and children often lived with such hard criticism and carried the burden of the people, but they stayed with the call for that time, for so many people including me.

When we place ourselves in the middle of God’s Word where ever we are reading, we have an opportunity to “know” Him. God did not give us His Word for naught. They are not just words on a piece of paper. It is not just history but His Story!  His Words are our words to speak, to live, to breathe, to hear and to write! While getting to know Him this month of November, be thankful above all else that you and I can actually hold a Bible in our hands without it being snatched up by the enemy. Those of you in other countries where you do not have as much liberty as we do here in America, I say:  “Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:  For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city!”

God bless you this November of 2015 as you, my friend, reach out to the people of YOUR city.

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment