Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Two of a kind, this Elisha and Dr. Bloom



“Those that would be fit to teach must have time to learn; and those that hope hereafter to rise and rule must be willing at first to stoop and serve.” Matthew Henry

Kay Mills our Office Manager of the school and church and I spread out all kinds of materials and pictures collected since 1941. We just looked at each other and said, “What in the world have we gotten ourselves into?” We were overwhelmed by the “stuff” as we have now entered a journey of preparing for Central Baptist Church's 75th Anniversary. What fun it was to look back and think on those people and families who have served under each Pastor but especially under Dr. Jesse Bloom and now his son, Dr. Andy Bloom.

 Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Ro 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Ro 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

Dr. Jesse Bloom will turn 96 this January 14, 2016! How old are you? Dr. Bloom preached Sunday night and when he finished, the people filled the altar not because of him, but as a direct result of God's Holy Spirit working in people's lives.  He was just God's vessel used at that particular moment as he preached TRUTH. I watched him "shuffle" off the stage, I wanted to cry. The man of God is STILL the man of God! As I read the calling of Elisha, I just wanted to cry again. It seems I do a lot of that lately while reading about God’s chosen people of the Old Testament and those with whom God has allowed me to serve. Will you allow me the privilege of reminiscing today?

Elisha, you are in heaven with my God. You didn’t have a Mercedes to drive while on earth, and not even a Ford! You just ran wherever you went. You chased Elijah around like a maniac. No motels, no steaks, no bologna sandwiches…..just whatever God gave you at the moment. What faith! No alarm clock, no wife to pamper you, no Joseph A. Banks’ suits, no Sears or even Pennys. No Mission Board, no paycheck every month, or week or after preaching…….sounds pretty scary doesn’t it? I see Dr. Bloom in the same light. I want to be that light, folks, don't you?

Elisha was just plowing away helping his mom and dad with "life" trying to survive. 
He served those he loved. I'm sure he was like we are and maybe had his own opinions, but there was just something about him that caused him to see and to obey. Dr. Bloom was in his 40's before answering the call to go back to school and preach. Already married with children, he saw and obeyed God's command. I want to see and obey for as long as I can, don't you?

Elisha had a great example when he picked up and ran after Elijah, a crazy man, according to those who knew him, and yet these men walked so closely with God. At times we need someone to look up to, someone who is flesh and blood, someone we can touch and sit at their feet asking questions about God, wouldn't you agree? They are just as human as we are and will make mistakes, but for me, it helps seeing Dr. Bloom stand and preach. He can't run up and down the stage anymore. Matter of fact I have asked him if he wanted me to pick him up and throw him over my shoulder and take him back to his office. He just laughs but I believe I could if he needed me too. Dr. Bloom tells stories that are real causing us to hear every word. He gives examples that we can relate.......... kind of like sitting down in his living room and all the while pointing us to the perfect one, Jesus!

Look around you. Do you have an Elijah to run after? Do you see and are you obedient as God gives you the opportunity to learn from His people in leadership? As we close out 2015 it might do God GOOD if we just take more time to thank those who have an influence on us to do MORE GOOD. Let's see Jesus today and obey! My Preacher would say to not look at people, but look at God because people will let you down and I agree, but bless God for those who stand for right and who keep fighting to keep the high standards!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment