Monday, December 21, 2015

Fly, Vickie, Fly



Vickie ran through one row of short pine trees and back down through another. With her arms stretched out, she was flying never seeing Aunt Alma at the end of the last row. I tried to get her to stop but once she was in her imaginary state, she would be checked out for a while. There were times when she seemed to be in a trance and once she came to herself, she would just sit and cry.  Aunt Alma had  one thing on her mind…..the wash. It had to be done and hung out to dry before the parents arrived for their children that afternoon. With one hand on her chubby hip and the other holding a stick of sorts, she waited for Vickie to land. I wanted to scream to awaken Vickie, but this time it wasn’t soon enough. I knew my sister was escaping in her own mind but the journey was short lived!

My knuckles burned with pain as I pushed the small clothing on the scrub board trying to avoid the next event but my heart burned with more pain for my little sister. I couldn’t help her right now and would have to watch this woman beat her, again. If only Daddy was coming today, but he wouldn’t arrive until Friday or Saturday…… “Why do we have to be here in this home and feel such pain?” I asked myself over and over. “We have to tell someone, somewhere, and soon.”  

Reading Psalm 57 gives us a picture of a man abused by the respected Saul. Saul hid his envy for a long time, but eventually that jealous hate turned to violence. It caught up with him, covered his outstanding character, chipped away at his healthy heart and caused a gross smell to cover him and follow him until his death. Now, others could see it and they, like David, became his victims as well.

Working with children day in and day out allows me the opportunity to be alert for those who may be abused physically, mentally and/or sexually. I JUST DON’T GET IT! It is a weak person who thrives on precious little children! My flesh cries out for their disgusting bodies to be tied, mouths taped with a tight rope placed around their necks for a slow certain death as the public watches while shopping in downtown Ocala!  They need to scream in agony of pain worse than the pain they inflicted upon God's precious little ones. An eye for eye, you say?

But God……who is this Wonderful Creator? I think I know, but then my mind goes back to that home of severe abuse and for a split second I relish the idea that “they” are all dead now! Oh my, people, where are they? Only God knows and only God cared enough for them, the abusers, to send Jesus to die for them as well. “God, who are you? Tell me. I look for you in the Holy Word. I see, I hear, I don’t understand the why of it all, but I understand that you LOVE us and will allow pain for Your honor and for Your glory.  HELP ME TO GET IT, BEFORE IT SLIPS AWAY AND I RUN INTO THE WALLS OF DEATH."

David had to tell God and the only way he could get it out was to complain and eventually he moved into deep prayer to the only One who could possibly help Him. Why do we complain in prayer when He is there already? Whatever it takes, God is there to help us sort it all out. Most of the time in our lives the coveted quick fix doesn’t happen, does it? We feel abused, unloved and left alone by God.
Not so……hang on, David, victory is near, and so it is for you, dear friend!

57:7 ¶ My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
Ps 57:8 Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.
Ps 57:9 I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.
Ps 57:10 For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.
Ps 57:11 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.

So, you're human, like me? We are learning a lot about God in this journey aren't we? If you have to complain, get it out. Just say it but before you finish get on your knees and give Him the glory and allow Him the opportunity to bring joy in he midst of the abuse.....whatever it is. He already knows it. Give it to Him and praise Him out loud. Rejoice in His strength, friend.

Until next time, Lord willing.
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment