Thursday, August 27, 2015

Welcome to Subway!



Not every Sunday but most Sunday evenings my husband and I stop off at Subway for a whole wheat flat bread with tuna and a few veggies on top. Makes my mouth run water just thinking about it because I know I can be a hog at times. I’m sorry but some words are just more expressive than others. If this offends you, let me know.  :) At our favorite Subway, Terry and I have singled out a young man to win him to Christ. I have left him tracts, talked to him personally and finally just dropped all the “normal” ways of witnessing and just became more friendly. I said to him a couple of Sundays ago, “You sure are good at your job and I Thank you!” The little things mean a lot to people. 

He is good! He is fast, so fast I find myself moving to a beat in his steps as he throws the flat bread down, moves from side to side as in a fast waltz. Oxymoron.   I like the guy but hurt that he is not a Christian. I want so desperately to see this young man born again.

Last Sunday we opened the door and he said, “Welcome to Subway” in his regular energetic voice.  He didn’t look at me, though, and I thought this was unusual.  When he took our credit card and handed us our flat bread tuna sandwich, he said, “I’m sorry you had to wait so long.” It took me by surprise because he was his usual "fast self" but I realized that he had been waiting all along for a compliment from me. He remembered what I said the last time I was in his store!  Now folks, that is a little thing, but HUGE! He delighted in the fact that I noticed how fast and efficient he was and needed that encouragement.  It is my open door. The little things mean a lot!

I got to thinking as I read the famous story of the two fishes and five loaves, how our Savior used a very small kind act to feed 5,000 men. This number did not include the women and children! A little thing, folks. They were just hungry!

Mt 14:14-21 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.  And when it was evening, his disciples came to him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves victuals.  But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.  And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. He said, Bring them hither to me.  And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.  And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full.  And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.
Jesus didn’t waste any time with this people and went out of His way to meet their need. He even stayed with them making sure that after His disciples had gotten in the boat to go to the other side, he would personally see to it that they were safely on their way!  The little things mean a lot, folks.

Now, think with me, “Who has been placed in your path to compliment or to give some kind of help in their need?” A small thing can be HUGE for that person. It may mean life or death to that person.

Let’s don’t get so busy trying to feed our own faces that we miss those who are hungrier than we are.  God needs to trust us to do HIS business.  I guarantee you this, as you walk into Walmart, stop by Subway or run in to your local Publix, God will direct you to that person who “needs” something from HIM. Try it, let me know. Let’s be a blessing this day by getting involved in the “little things.” I would love for you to write Sheri and me and share an experience of helping a person you had not planned on helping.  We could even dedicate a blog post to that cause. You and I can be a blessing not only to others, but to our God! Let’s hear from you. Don’t worry about your spelling, wording, or whatever. Just send it. We’ll do the rest.

Until next time, Lord willing…
Sharon   

No comments:

Post a Comment