Monday, August 3, 2015

Just Rip My Heart Out!



Uncle George Baxley spent an afternoon with me before he went to be with Jesus. I fried hamburgers and french fries,  his favorite! He had come to my home to share information that encouraged me but also to reveal something about my Mother which broke my heart. It was a time for which I was not prepared even after three hours of conversation.  From that day to this, I have looked at the marriage relationship between a man and woman differently. Truth can be very hurtful can’t it?
Keeping a marriage pure was going to be top priority with me. I wasn’t sure of these tidings dropped in my lap, but I trusted Uncle George. He had nothing to lose, and I had everything to gain. It’s funny how just one shocking bit of truth can cause us to make such drastic changes in our lives affecting all those around us.   

I planned to keep the secret for a long time but it ate at my soul. I was pretty sure Daddy knew, but I would never bring it up. What was the point? For me to know, was needed, but not for Dad to know that I knew.  

What have you done with your hurt? Did it cripple you, or was it enough to make you jump out there with new energy and strength of the Lord to be used of God in a way that you had not ever thought of before? Has it stopped you, or moved you in the power of His Holy Spirit?

Jesus Christ was not like Uncle George, but Uncle George was like Jesus Christ. He bore in his crippled body the marks of a man who suffered tremendously but he managed to laugh and made me laugh as well.  He was grotesque to look as death closed in, and his drooling was only controlled at a minimum by a rag which set on his chest and crooked shoulder.  Because of his cancer, his tongue was situated crooked in his mouth, but he talked and spoke the scriptures wherever he went. Uncle George prayed as Paul prayed for God to remove his infirmity, but God used it for His glory. I am thankful to God to have had an Uncle George. He was so truthful with me to the point, I cried, but it caused me to “find my life” and not to lose it. It is a terrible thing to lose your life, wouldn’t you agree?

Bad news can rip your heart out,right? Have you received some bad news recently and maybe it took your breath away? Ok, welcome to the real sinful, cruel world. You are at a cross road. You face a couple of choices, don't you? You say, “I have no choice but to leave the sorry thing and get myself out of here and start over or just forget marriage.”  Maybe your news is about one of your children which ripped your heart out so badly, there’s no blood left to even pump enough for one heart beat! Maybe you are like me and if close enough to an ax, you’d go on a chopping spree!  

Tom Brennan a friend of my son in law, Mark, wrote a book, “The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached.” If you do not have a copy, order it. You’ll not be sorry. The sermon Brother Brennan is talking about of course is the Sermon on the Mount.  Visiting Israel for a couple of times just brings it all together for me, folks, but you have a Bible. Pick it up and turn to Matthew 5 and read verses 1-12, stop and pray, then keep going until you finish the chapter at verse 48. You will be blessed, I promise!

Mt 5:1 ¶ And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
Mt 5:2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Mt 5:3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mt 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mt 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mt 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Jesus said it all in one sitting! Read it again, break it down for yourself asking this question, “Ok, my gut is ripped out. What next?” Then, take it literally for yourself! God wants you to rejoice in Him. That is the secret to true happiness, not “things” to make us happy, but HIM, and HIM ALONE. 

In the next blog I want to help us look at this great sermon Jesus preached to show us how to handle bad news. It doesn't matter the category of news, folks, but it does matter whether we can see that God allows it for His glory and not for our hurt. 

Until next time, Lord willing…
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment