Monday, August 31, 2015

Just a Little Bit Longer



Grandpa reached high for a large tangerine and very slowly began peeling it. I stood watching him with my mouth watering thinking, “This is going to take forever.” He handed me a plug while placing one in his own mouth to wallow around before biting the juice out of it. His false teeth clattered. (Wrong use of the word but as a child that’s what we called it.) There were many tangerines on the tree ready to pick and while eating one plug at a time, I wondered why Grandpa only picked one and then shared it. We talked a little while eating the tangerine together just the two of us.  Grandma and a host of other relatives sat on the screened in back porch laughing and enjoying one another. I was sure they would enjoy a handful of the oranges.

“Just go ahead and pick a brown paper bag full for everyone and then we don’t have to come back for a while,” I muttered to myself. Little did I know why Grandpa did what he did until I became the Grandma walking out to the grapevine eating one grape at a time talking to Terry about my hectic day.  God’s provision comes and we want to analyze it, fuss about it missing the blessing, grow old and then wish we could go back in time. Oh me....

I can still see Grandpa Baxley’s wrinkled face and his kind smile. I loved him and wished to this day I could have lived with him “just a little bit longer.” Can’t go back can we? BUT….. We can move forward in God’s provision and work at NOT complaining about His way of giving us what we need for this day and into eternity. It’s difficult and very wearisome living with an aging relative and it may not be what you have chosen to do for the next few days, months and maybe for a few years.

Ps 71:7-9 I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day. Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.

Ps 71:18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

To get the most out of it later on is to get the most out of it, RIGHT NOW.  You may be facing taking care of an aging parent. I surely don’t have the answers for you, but God’s Word has a lot to say about how to treat people who are aging. Ecclesiastes 12 is worth studying and taking some notes while you read. You may not understand and think you know WHAT you would do and might even change some things for that loved one who seems to be such a nuisance for you, but friend, God didn’t leave us without instruction. Please take advantage of knowing His way and don’t miss the blessing that rests at your clean carpet or unscratched wooden floors and white walls.  I have made some mistakes while Grandma lived with us for seven years, but I also did some things properly as well.  I am thankful as I look at my stained carpet and a few other mess ups that came and went too quickly.

Face it if you don’t want this relative living with you or you don’t want or need the responsibility of an aging parent or relative and be honest with God.  Talk to Him about it. He understands and needs you to tell Him. Get to know Him and don’t hold anything back. In God is your needed patience, the understanding, the extra money you will need, the time, and love to do this task before you. Don’t be hasty with anything and make sure you have been led of God to care for this person. Don’t do it because of pity, or obligation or guilt. No, my friend, do it if God has clearly shown you His will.

In our journey this year, we are working at getting to know God and this is one area you and I have to know what is best. Sometimes, we put ourselves on a guilt trip, jumping out there as martyrs at the rescue for our children, our grandchildren and now for our aging parents. God is not interested in how “tough” we are, but is more interested in our obedience to His Word about the matter.  This is where the blessings begin ………. by doing it God’s way.

I will continue this blog next time. Read Ecclesiastes 12. It will help you IF you struggle. Ask God to help you see yourself and SEE your aging parent or relative. You just might be surprised. I love God’s way. He is so perfect and knows that WE are NOT! He holds that perfection though…..don’t forget that…..and it is ours for the asking.

Until next time, Lord willing
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment