Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Throne of Grace



Hebrews 4:11-16 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

In the above verses the writer of Hebrews tells us to take advantage of who Jesus Christ is to us as believers.  So today,  I am going to share a personal example of how my High Priest just a few weeks ago, understood me.

Recently I went to the states in order to drop my son off at college.  While my husband and I were planning my trip, we received an email telling us the dates of our mission agency's annual conference.  We both agreed it would be a wonderful way to end my trip and give me a good dose of fellowship with other missionaries and friends before returning to the field.  Boy, am I glad we made that decision! 

There is a preacher with the Gospel Preacher Association (our mission agency), named Clemon Chappell.  He is a pastor in Northwest Indiana and one of our family's greatest friends.  He and his wife aren't old enough to be my mom and dad, but that is the way I look at them.  They are just the real deal.  They don't pretend like they are perfect and they don't make you feel like a second class citizen, on the contrary, they know how to make you feel loved. 

Well, Bro. Clemon is one of those men who knows how to pray.  When he prays you kind of feel like Jesus has walked up, entered the circle and taken your hand.  So, the last night of the meeting after the preaching was over, I really wanted to get him to pray with me, but I was too embarrassed to walk up front where all the preachers were gathered and talking. Now, the thing is, there is something I have been talking to God about for months now.  No one knows what it is, not even my husband.  It is just a conversation between me and God.  One of those things that you pray and pray and pray about and it sits heavy on your shoulders.  Know what I mean?  Well, that is what I wanted Bro. Clemon to come pray with me about, WITHOUT me saying what it was.  Impossible right?  Kind of like Nebuchadnezzar asking people to tell him what he dreamed! 

I stood in the back of the church for a while talking with some ladies and there, all of a sudden, in the pew in front of me, was Bro. Clemon.  And he says, "I want to pray with you before you go"  My heart kind of stopped.  So I bowed my head and listened to him pray.  He was talking to God and I was waiting for him to say my "hidden" request.  We came to the end of the prayer and he was about to close it out and I felt a sadness fall on me because he hadn't mentioned it....but then he stopped and said, "Now God, if miss Sheri has something on her heart that is heavy, You take care of it."  Again, my heart stopped. 

You would be hard pressed to tell me that MY God is not aware of my innermost thoughts.  I hate myself for not believing He was listening, but then again, it just makes me know all the more that He is paying attention to me. 

Hebrews admonishes us to not harden our hearts, to look at the Bible, let It do It's work in our hearts. When?  TODAY!  We should look at Jesus Christ and take advantage of the fact that He is our Saviour, our High Priest Who understands those requests we have in our hearts and go BOLDLY to Him.

The rest of the story and the answer to my prayer has not transpired yet, but just this week something happened that I KNOW is directly related to it.  God is at work.  I think I am just going to keep taking advantage of my spot before the throne and keep talking to Him about it!

What do you have today that you can take advantage of prayer and talk to Him about?  He is listening!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri  (Bro. Clemon and Mrs. Jolene.....if you guys ever read this, you are my heroes)


No comments:

Post a Comment