Friday, July 24, 2015

It's Your Day, Lydia!




July 24, 1958, seven of us stepped into Grandpa's pool to be baptized three times forward and not one time backward. I was saved in the Church of the Brethren where three time forward was the norm. Although our church did not teach eternal security, I did! I can't explain it, but I never doubted my salvation. Today, I celebrate my salvation over 58 years ago. I'm not sure the exact date I was born again, but I do remember the moment the Holy Spirit touched me on that Sunday and I went forward to receive Jesus Christ as my personal Savior.  It was MY day when as Lydia in Acts16, “attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.” Not too long after that I was baptized or “dunked” as the Brethren called it. It didn’t matter to me folks, because Jesus was my way to heaven, not baptism.

Ac 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.
Ac 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
Ac 16:15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

Lydia, what a woman! Do you understand that she was the first convert in Europe? Every time I read the Bible through I am reminded of this dear friend in Christ and I owe my life to her. Our roots, most of us here in this United States of America, are in the continent of Europe from which Paul received the Macedonian call. What if he had not taken advantage of that time and decided to travel somewhere else instead of Europe? But he didn’t. He obeyed as difficult as it would be to travel all those miles with Silas and then with Luke and Timothy.  Folks, for us to hop on a plane and fly over to any part of Europe is simple compared to what God’s men went through during that time. 

Lydia this is your day! There she is on a Sabbath with a group of other women down by the river, praying.  I can picture it, can’t you? Now, Paul comes with his faithful men. Paul, a Roman citizen himself, took advantage of going to the large city of Philippi which was that part of Macedonia, and according to the scriptures, a colony.  A colony meant that it had been settled by certain Roman citizens from Italy.  Paul was smart and had a plan but this small detour to the riverside paved the way for you and for me! Lydia this was your day, but it was ours as well!

Before that July 24th when we were all baptized, I had some of my friends and relatives say to me, “I’ll get saved, but not yet.  I’m just not ready.”  Do you understand that we do not decide when we get saved? We must take advantage of that moment when the Word is presented and the Holy Spirit speaks. It is the Spirit of God who moves us to receive Jesus Christ. He draws us to Him. Oh, I fear it is too late for many folks as they have said, “No, not today but maybe tomorrow.”  Aren’t you glad Lydia said, “Yes!” whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul? 

Lydia this is your day but also the day of your household! We are not told if she was married and had children, but we are told that her household was saved and baptized as well.  She had some means about herself for we are told that she invited Paul and the others to abide in her home. She was a seller of purple and probably a successful business woman.  Well, Lydia, this has certainly been your day, your household’s day and mine as well. Thank you for taking advantage of the preaching of Paul and paving the way for the rest of us.  We will get to thank her personally, one day, don’t you know? 

I try to identify with Paul and can to some degree, but because I am woman, it is more difficult. But Lydia, this is your day!  Any woman can identify with Lydia, a hard working woman, a praying woman, wanting to do the will of the Father.  
I smile thinking of that first convert as I was the first convert in my own family.  The precious nuggets God gives us from His Word are to be treasured, pulled out, and looked upon as they give us strength to keep on keeping on.  Don’t forget to thank God for this day, for Lydia, for your salvation on whatever day it was!

Celebrate that day! I surely am today, because, Sharon, this is your day!

 Ps 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sharon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment