Tuesday, July 14, 2015

In the Garden but not Alone



With her wrinkled hand, Grandma Baxley motioned to me to follow her to the rose garden. We were very quiet early that morning as we slipped outside away from our sleeping family.  This was our last time together before I boarded the plane to Jever, Germany.  We walked hand in hand through one row of rose bushes and back up to the smoke house and I knew our sweet walk would soon end. I didn’t want to leave, so I took advantage of that moment to ask Grandma some questions about her marriage to my Grandpa, Daniel Edward Baxley, a man called "Boy" for most of his adult life. 

Grandpa had died that same year leaving Grandma alone on their farm, their love mansion, their everything that they had built together. All nine children were still alive and most of them lived close by but I could see that Grandma wanted to reminisce about Grandpa, so I stepped back to watch her while we took another journey back through the beautiful flower garden. She gently pulled some of the petals from the roses and placed them in my hand talking gently about her love. How sweet it was to learn more about Grandpa all because this woman knew him better than anyone else on earth! Over 50 years of being together as man and wife, upstream, downstream, sickness, and in good health, nine children, several grandchildren, and now alone but still as one. I wanted to embrace her courage, her strength, and her faith in a God who walked with her day after day. This was my moment of taking advantage of seeing into the future somewhat, while deciding what to do next.

This month of July Sheri and I decided to look into the lives of Biblical people and see where they took advantage of the moment God had given them to know Him better or as some did, walk away from the opportunity of their life time!  We are praying that as you read you will be encouraged to pick up the Holy Bible, turn to the scriptures and read for yourself just who this magnificent God really is and then to identify with the characters, live people who knew Him in their time. But now, is our time.

Do you honestly believe that God is in control of “time?” Then, why do we live as though we don’t? He gives us the morning light to see the day ahead and evening darkness to help us close our eyes to rest. The in between hours are His if we take advantage of that time He allows us to walk.  

My friend Alene found out this week that her husband had more than one mini stroke one right after the other.  There were moments in his day that he didn’t know where he was, but God did. He fell and didn’t remember how he skinned his arm, but God did.  Did Alene know ahead of time that Mark, her husband, would experience such strokes? No, but God had given her sense enough to pay attention to some warning signs and to be better prepared.  She took advantage of the warning signs. It is important to walk with the Lord because He is just a step ahead of you, protecting you in this journey called “LIFE.” 

As we walk with God knowing that His step is just one ahead of ours, we have the opportunity to acknowledge Him and HE WILL direct the next one. I like the idea of God walking with me, just ahead. I acknowledge Him by talking to Him, praising Him, asking Him questions and accepting the fact that He is in control even when sickness, despair or heartache lurk in the path ahead. Remember, God is one step ahead of you UNLESS you take a detour.  Oh me! Detours can be very dangerous and lonely.  

Ps23:2-3 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Pr 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths

Grandma Baxley had lived through much pain but far more blessings than I could write about. I wanted to know what she did in those rough spots of marriage, family and now, death of her beloved husband. My future was being spread out before me, and I could see some areas with a need for immediate attention. The warning signs were delivered that morning and out of the corner of Grandma’s eyes, I caught that little twinkle in her eye that insinuated, “Sharon, are you listening? I’m telling you what WILL work and what DIDN’T work. It is in your path ahead. Be ready, but walk with God just like we walked this morning, hand in hand through the rose garden.”

“I come to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses, and the voice I hear falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses.  And He walks with me and He talks with me. And He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there. None other has ever known.”

Until next time, Lord willing.
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment