Friday, July 10, 2015

It is Midnight, David



You can’t sleep and while looking at the clock, you sigh and think, “This night will never end if I don’t go to sleep.”  You dose off, but in fear you wake up gasping for air, sit up and realize that your troubled spirit cannot rest.  The dilemma hasn’t banished and you don’t know what to do.

Ps 143:6-9 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah. ¶ Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.
 
David faced a time in his life where his spirit was completely overwhelmed. In a nightly prayer meeting with the Lord David takes advantage of the midnight alone with God and begins with much detail, pouring himself out to the One, the Only One, who could help. He needed God to consider his plight, not to overlook his sin but to have mercy and show grace to him before the morning light would be visible to his weary eyes, eyes that cried for his son, his family and for his own safety.

David reminded God of the past blessings upon others. You and I have the New Testament as well as the Old Testament. We have the very Words of our God and will be held accountable even when we do not read them. It is there, for us 24/7 at morning and at midnight. There will be no excuse in the day of God’s judgment for you and for me. I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news; I want to be the messenger of truth and the truth is we DO HAVE HIS WORD, completely. He has already given instructions to us.

As David looked back at God’s former deliverance, so can we as we look back upon David’s deliverance! Well, glory!!! Think about that one……

It is midnight again; you sit up in your bed wide awake. You crawl off your bed to your knees and begin praying, begging God to “reconsider your plight” being totally and completely honest with God.  The consequences of your past sin are evident. You cannot change what has already happened, but you can stretch forth your hands to God……

Ps 143:6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
Ps 143:7 ¶ Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.

Did David think that he was going to die before the morning light? I don’t know, but he was fearful, so afraid that words cannot completely describe his emotion.

At daybreak my husband and I sat on our back porch with our coffee in our hands, discussing Psalm 143. I have heard him quote many, many times, verse 8, “ Cause me to hear thy loving kindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.”  This passage became our life line during the most difficult times in our married life.  Also, John 15:7 & 8 as I have often written, has become so personal to me, that I must have it visible in my office at school. It is never too late to serve God while there is breath in your body! You may have sinned as David did, but God can and will forgive as you relinquish your way and grab His way.

Anything outside the boundaries of the Holy Word is against His holiness and righteousness. God will not bless unrighteousness.  I’ve tried it, but as you and I sit under the Word of God and under the preaching of God’s Word through His messenger, we will know and understand this Word more today than we have in the past.  We may try to “re-word” God’s Word, but it will not work! We may try to justify our own sin, but God will not bless our requests made known unto Him because we have made Him look like a liar. Not good!

If it goes against what He has already said, it is wrong! You and I can’t make ourselves “look good” by trying to place a puzzle piece in the wrong place. IT WON’T WORK! Get out of there! It is midnight with day break and possibly will bring death! Get on your knees before a Living God, confess, and plead with Him to consider your plight! Then……go and do as He says in His Word.
Head down, arms drooped, no sleep with a rebellious son on his trail, David took advantage of a midnight prayer meeting……just he and God.

Hey, a midnight prayer meeting sounds good, don’t you think? You and God make a majority!
What do I know about God as I read about David in a midnight prayer meeting taking advantage of God’s mercy?  God delivers and He guides as we make known to Him our desperate need throwing all doubt aside while embracing the faith available to us all, TODAY!

Until next time, Lord willing…

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment