Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Amos and Andy





At 13 years of age I had memorized John 14, quoted it (almost) in front of the church in order to go to camp that summer. My family was poor and could not afford to send me. My preacher told me if I would memorize this scripture, say it before the congregation, he would see to it that my way was paid for and I did, and he did! Brother Joe May was a man of his word. He saw something in me worth the time and a little money. I am so glad he did. Young people need to trust us as they observe US trusting God, don’t you agree? It was difficult for me to have a good attitude around my family who did not go to church and wanted nothing to do with it but my preacher kept encouraging me to read the Bible, go to church and share the Gospel with as many people as God sent my way.

Today, I am continuing from Monday’s blog.

After the disappointment of my prayer being answered with a definite, “No” by God, I wanted to get mad and ignore my family, but Daddy would not have it! There were chores to do every day and consequences to follow if they were not done on time and properly done the way he assigned them. There was always “work” to do. Daddy was doing what he needed to do and in the same breath, my preacher, Brother May was doing what he needed to do. God was using both leaders in my life even though my Dad at that time was not a Christian.  I don’t know about you, but if you struggle with God’s answer of “No” be reminded that God is working GOOD in your life. May I encourage you to yield to His leadership through it all.  Kicking and stomping just makes the journey more difficult to travel, but yielding helps the rough spots! Actually, a song will develop in your heart because the Spirit of God moves you to do God’s will.

In the book of Amos was such a man, an example to me.  If you have time study the life of Amos and I hope you have more Biblical understanding than I did at 13. I was ignorant of the scriptures but Brother May and Grandma took time to teach me.  When I found out there was an Amos, I looked for Andy!  For the younger crowd, this makes no sense, but those in their 60’s will remember the program, Amos and Andy. The little TV that we could watch was black and white and one of our most favorite programs was Amos and Andy. Just recently, I pulled it up by way of YouTube a series of these programs.  My, how TV has changed!

Amos 7:14-15 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit: And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

Crawl into Amos’ life, if you will, and identify with him as much as you can.  Amos was just doing what he grew up to do but he took advantage of taking on a burden for a people who would eventually banter and ridicule him! His burden came from God. What burden has God given you? Is it too much to bear? We think so at times, don’t we?  But if God gives it to us, then He also adds the strength to carry it. It is a packaged deal!  Amos was just a plain country man. I like that, don’t you? I don’t identify too well with the rich and famous of our day. I am an educated country girl. My name is not Amos or Andy, but it is Sharon! What is your name and what has God hand-picked you to do?

What God says to us as believers has been said in His Word already. It is written for our benefit to benefit Him. Does that make sense? It didn’t make sense to me, as a teen trying to guide God’s Hand but the man of God could see in depth more of His Word than I could. Therefore, I believed the man of God but thought I would suffocate while believing.  The hurt and disappointment was too much, BUT I still believed! Makes no sense does it, unless you have been there and now you understand.

Amos was persecuted for his prophesy. Did you get that? He was persecuted for telling what God told him to say. Unbelievable, but it happens even today in our church age. In my church, today, my Preacher whose name IS Andy, gets accused of being too hard in his preaching, when all the while he labors to make sure the landmarks do not get moved. We are becoming the minority, folks, or have you not noticed the change in people’s thinking?  Trying to be righteous and holy has become wrong while the sins of the flesh have exploded to becoming a major force which is pushing our world into chaos! WE ARE THERE, FOLKS. WE ARE THERE! WAKE UP! Pick up the burden of the Lord, and take advantage of this time of doing the will of our Father.

Amos did. Pastor Andy did. Brother Joe May did and when I left Clay County I was somewhat more equipped to pick up the burden God had planned for my young life!

So, off to Marion County we moved but on the very first day of high school I met Terry Loyd. God saw what I couldn’t. I knew when I saw Terry, we would be married one day and I later learned that he had felt the same about me on that first day of school. Don't kick too hard on your journey or you might miss the greatest blessing in your life!

Until next time, Lord willing….

Sharon

 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment