Wednesday, October 28, 2015

He Did More than just Wash my Feet!



Terry and I walked into the room of the nursing home where one of our brothers in Christ, Mike Russo was sitting with another Christian, both from our Challengers Sunday School Class.  Brother Russo looked up at us with a big grin and said, “You guys are so good to me!” He became a little weepy as he pronounced his thankfulness to us and others who had stepped in to help the family during their desperate time of need. His wife is on oxygen 24/7 and has other health issues. The list of needs was many, but the point I want to make is this:  Brother Mike rejoices in the Lord continually.


I asked myself a question as our pump stopped today, internet went out and stayed out, and my phone died for a short while: Are you rejoicing, Sharon? Do you trust God? My problems seemed minute compared to Brother Russo’s dilemmas. What kind of character does God require when everything seems to go wrong all at once?


Joh 13:1 ¶ Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. Joh 13:2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him; Joh 13:3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; Joh 13:4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. Joh 13:5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded


What character Jesus exemplified during this time right before His death!! People, I can’t even imagine let alone understand this kind of love Christ had for these men who surrounded Him at the table. Do you get it? Are you able to really see our Lord’s character and great love as He washed their feet? He knew His hour was very close where He would feel human pain from the crucifixion. He loved them to the end! Why is it important to “get to know Him?” ……. Because we DON’T HAVE THAT KIND OF LOVE without Him! You and I can’t do it! We will fail over and over and over except that we think of Jesus’ love for us TO THE END.


Grandpa and Grandma Baxley quietly lead me to a circle of believers and by example showed me how to wash another believer’s feet. In our Church of the Brethren, we practiced the washing of feet but not everyone joined. I didn’t understand but I do today. No one spoke, no one laughed as the pan was passed from one to another. That particular night must have been the night of celebration around Easter. I am not sure. I was very young but I wanted to be there and join the celebration of remembering this time of year. That was the last time I ever washed another believer’s feet but it wasn’t the last time I celebrated such an event. Every time I read this passage from John 13, I stop and celebrate!


Thank you, Jesus, for showing such love and compassion for me in your time of need. Thank you for not complaining about what you had to go through……what you CHOSE to go through! Oh, friend, if we will but praise Him instead of complain to Him and to others every time we stump our toe! 


“He is so good to us!” Isn’t it time we just get out there and do for others and stop our complaining?


Let’s be happy when the pump works and when it DOESN’T work. Let’s rejoice when we are well as much as we pray to be well. As suffering increases so should our praises. Character, just pure sweet, Godly character with whom we have union in Christ can be ours as we practice Jesus' example. He leads us to the circle of believers, picks up our feet, washes them, and pats them dry as His own tears drop on our feet. The next day He did more than just wash their feet; He died for them and He died for me. What a Savior! What a Savior!


Until next time, Lord willing…

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment