Monday, October 5, 2015

Do you tremble at His Word?



Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Have you ever had something happen to you that was so awful that when you happen to remember it, you tremble in fear?  I have.  I can still feel the cold steel of the butcher knife a drugged out street thug pressed into my side as he robbed me.  I can hear his voice growling in my ear as he threatened to kill me if I didn’t hand him my phone.  As I type this, my skin is cold and I am reliving the moment.  It makes me tremble to think about it ever happening again.

Trembling comes from an emotion way down deep inside that affects our thoughts and our being.  Whether from a past occurrence like mine or from fear of something in the future trembling is a reaction to the knowledge of something that has happened or will happen.  When you think on Christ’s return and the Judgement Seat, you really ought to tremble.  When we listen to the preaching of God’s Word, our reaction should be in a trembled fear that if we don’t obey God and do what He says, the consequences could be that someone might go to hell.  We should tremble.

Look what God says:

Jeremiah 5:22 Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?

We are a nation of people who no longer tremble.  We are so full of pride and haughtiness in our ability to do things in our own power that we have forgotten that God actually is watching, listening and coming back to make all things right. 

We want to get to know Him better, right?  Well, let’s take a moment today at the start of this week and examine ourselves. 

-  Are we right inside with the Saviour?  By this I mean, are we truly saved, and if the answer is yes, have we confessed any sin that may be harbored inside the corners of our hearts?

 Are we walking with the Saviour today?  Are we reading His Word and letting It transform us so that we go forward with Him, or are we stuck in Neutral like Mama pointed out a few weeks ago in this blog? 

- Are we seeking the Saviour in every single decision we make?  Are we acknowledging “all our ways” so He can direct our paths? 

If we are doing these things, we will have a healthy and correct fear of God because all three things point us to Him and the closer we are to Him, the more repulsive the world seems.  If you are snuggled up in the world’s arms, I am afraid you won’t tremble at God’s Word.  You will brush it off as something for the fanatics.  You will just comfortably roll over and think about something that doesn’t bother you and helps squelch the voice of the Holy Spirit.

Just do a little self-inventory.  Do you tremble at the thought of looking Jesus in His eyes one day and explaining why you did what you did with your life? Do you tremble at His Word?  If not, don't wait to make things right.  Run to Him and seek His face immediately.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment