Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Follow the pattern



2 Timothy 1:14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

Last night I sat and listened to my dad instruct my oldest son about how to be the right kind of employee.  I inwardly smiled because I can remember Dad instructing me the same way when I was younger and I loved it that Wyatt was hearing the same, well grounded advice.

My dad is a no nonsense, hard working, man's man.  He does not understand how a person can sign a contract or commit to a project and then not complete his word.  He believes if you say you are going to do something, then by golly, you ought to do it, and do it well.  He told Wyatt that in our family we work and don't quit just because we get the sniffles or stub a toe.  Dad is turning 70 this year and my mom and sister will agree with me in telling you that Dad practices what he preaches.  He thanks God for his health and as long as he has it, he is going to show up to church and serve God.  Period. He wants his grandchildren to take that same hard work attitude and adopt it as their own.

I feel like I can hear Paul instructing Timothy with the same fervent spirit that my dad instructed my son.  Paul tells his spiritual son to hold fast to the Gospel that Paul has taught him.  That meant Timothy was to think about it, practice it and follow it.  Paul had given him the pattern of how to live and behave as a Christian and a preacher, so now Timothy didn't need to look elsewhere for how to do the will of God.  He needed to determine that he would follow the pattern!

Why do you and I want to get off track in our day to day lives?  Because we think we can try something better, something newer and fresher.  That is just plain foolish.  God has told us what He requires of us and what pleases Him.  And the only way we can adhere to His desires is to read His Word and determine to follow the pattern!

One of the greatest things about being a Christian is that we have SomeONE helping us "keep" everything we have been taught, and that is the Holy Spirit.  He guides us and helps us remember the little things.  Don't close your heart to His nudges.  When He reminds you of doctrine that you have left off following the pattern to, listen to Him and ask Him to help you make necessary changes in your spiritual walk. 

Follow the pattern!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment