Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Deleted or Resurrected?



To create a file today has a completely new meaning, doesn’t it? I still use filing cabinets; three large ones in my inner office and three large ones in my conference room. Some would call me old fashion, I guess, but I just can’t get rid of them right now. Every now and then I have to go on a hunt to find that one particular file. My computer files are supposed to be easier to locate.  I don’t have to pull out a drawer, or get on my knees or knock my brains out on a file drawer left open. I suppose the computer should save me time, right? Wrong! At least I can enter one word and that connection will pop up and I get there……eventually. The files in our brain are similar, aren’t they? We read a word in the scriptures and our minds make the connection to a memory which is supposed to be filed away, tucked away and not resurrected.We may even ask ourselves, "Why is it I always remember the bad and not the good?" 

As I read Zephaniah 1-3, my mind floods with memories from the past that are not pleasant but God in His infinite mercy reminds me that His blessings far outweigh any hurt this ole’ mind encountered as a child. 

Ps 1:1-3 ¶ Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Have you been bombarded by the sins of the past, not necessarily your sins, but someone in your family which did such a number on you, that you wanted to die? Later in life you were doing fine, thank you, and then someone says something or asks a question or you read a passage of scripture and wham, there it is AGAIN!  You thought you had grown beyond it, filed it away but your mind will not destroy that file and it cannot be deleted no matter how hard you try.

Someone just recently told me that in dealing with a past sin and the horrible fear that comes with it, she goes back to the Word of God and reminds herself of the following:

“My sins have been thrown as far as the east is from the west. I am forgiven! God doesn’t remember it and why should I? Am I bigger than God? NO! He made me, saved me and forgave me!”
Then, this lady brings to her remembrance a prayer prayed years ago. She rehearses it in her mind to help release the same peace which was experienced the first time she prayed. You and I don’t need to know her personal prayer, but we do need to be reminded that just because something is filed away doesn’t mean that ole’ slew foot won’t try to resurrect it. In God’s eyes and according to His Word, that sin has been deleted!

Be careful as you receive counsel for anything that you are dealing with in your life especially of a past sin that has already been forgiven by the Great I Am. “Talking” or “rehearsing” a sin to get it all out in the open, can be very dangerous, friend. If someone has wronged you, forgive them and move on. It may be difficult and the memory file may keep popping up on your screen, but by God’s power of His Holy Word, you will be able to move on and be productive in Christ.  God’s Word gives us example after example. Read them, study them, and walk in them. Rehearse His Word, not your memory!

Ps 130:4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
1Jo 1:8-9 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Our delight should be in the law of the Lord and we are to meditate (rehearse it, think on it) day and night, according to Psalm 1: 2.  If we are to prosper and help others prosper, we MUST practice what the Word of God says and not just read it! I want to be that planted tree by the water, growing and producing fruit. Don’t you?

Lord, I release my fear and accept your forgiveness.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment