Friday, February 6, 2015

And to Virtue, Add Knowledge.



2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 1:5 ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

Finishing up II Peter today, I read some quotes written in the margins of my Bible which took me back to times of growth in the Lord. Some people don’t like to write in their Bible, and I respect that, but I do. Don’t do something because I say so, or someone else says not to…..grow in Christ and allow Him to guide you into growing more and always, always, match it up to the truth of the Scriptures! I am a sinner just like you and so is every TV evangelist out there along with the greats that you and I have looked up to for so long.  I will fail you, but God’s Word will NEVER fail you. 

My suggestions are just that...a suggestion. As you read write down quotes or thoughts in the margin of your Bible especially those thoughts that will feed your desire to please the Lord, wanting to know His mind, His character, His everything! So, the following comments were written on the same page but in different years. Write the date of that comment if possible. At the end of II Peter I, I read, again, my comments which strengthened me in the area of prayer and trusting God. I was reminded of steps that I took toward His throne of Grace where more knowledge awaited me.

1.  6/28/09 “The will of God is that ALL WILL receive Christ as personal Savior.” This quote from whomever, reminds me that everyone can be saved, not just a few like some religions teach and other groups think. It is settled!
2Pe 3:9 ¶ The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2.  8/28/13 “Mark and Sheri are in the states. Katie goes off to college this week-end!” I like to write good things in my Bible that keep me praying for those in my family. If you write such positive notes in your Bible, then you can rejoice with me on this one.
3.  6/27/10 “Our minds should be stirred up by the Word of God.” As we get a hold of this thing called “Knowledge” our diligence kicks in and off we go “stirred up by the Word of God.” God will have an opportunity (not that He needs anything!) to use us to help others “Know” God.

Ernie Mikell who keeps our buses running and does so many other “jobs” around our school and church stays “stirred up” by the Word of God. Several times a week he comes up to me with a truth that he and his wife, Linda, absorbed from the Word of God that same morning in their family devotions. He not only gets excited by the Word but he gets me stirred up just listening to him! Now, isn’t that better than gossip or finding fault of another?
2Pe 1:12-13Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; 

It is easy to criticize, gossip and judge others at times and shame on us, me included, for stepping away from the filling of the Holy Spirit when all God wants us to do is glorify Him BY HIS WORD  and yet, we justify our tongue as it slaps people down day in and day out! If you are a woman who talks a lot, like me, then let’s talk Jesus. Women who talk a lot usually say too much to more people than they will remember and thus become known as a gossiper, constantly stirring the pot. Let’s be remembered for “stirring” up people for the Lord.

Just recently my mouth got out of control. I went back to my office and shut it up with God’s help, opened the door to try to get a better grip on a situation and a mom of one of our students saw me to discuss a problem she was having with her child. I allowed her a few minutes to vent trying to get the picture of what to do, but the more this dear mom said, I began to wonder if she knew what the Bible had already said about the problem. So, I placed my hand on my Bible and asked, “What has God shown you already about this situation?” She couldn’t answer me and admitted to not reading it “lately” but would like to know what It said. 

“Tell me about your relationship with Christ.” She began to weep. I was taken by surprise because I knew she had family in another country who were missionaries. I assumed she was born-again.
We should never assume that someone is born-again! She had a “knowledge” of God, but did not know Him. I then opened up my Bible and she and I read the scriptures that lifted the veil from her eyes to the truth that she needed a personal Savior. I cried as it was so sweet! What a Savior! Now, Sharon, you tongue slapping woman…….you almost missed a great opportunity to share Jesus Christ because your diligence was good, but your flesh jumped in which almost kept you from finishing the task for the day. I’m glad I went back to my office, confessed, and came out to do His will, not mine.
Also…..one of the most dangerous decisions we can make after leading someone to the truth of salvation through Jesus Christ, is to leave them for the rest of the ride, alone. No! These precious souls need more “knowledge.” This mom needs to grow with someone along her side to guide her to more truth so that she can begin to give diligence to adding virtue to her faith and to virtue, knowledge; And to knowledge temperance…….
We will look at this temperance issue next. Oh me, help me Jesus! I am the worst sinner of all, but by God’s precious saving Grace, I will practice this self-discipline called “Temperance.” Will you join me…?

Until next time, Lord willing
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment