Sunday, January 4, 2015

Pack Your Flashlight!

Proverbs 23:12 “Apply thine heart unto instruction and thine ears to the words of knowledge.”
 
Our attitude towards God’s instruction shows as we follow the plan He has charted out for us. We can actually do it our own way or make excuses as to why we take the detours ahead instead of following the road map. It requires our eyes, ears AND heart to be able to see all that He has promised us on this journey called, “Life.”
 
Proverbs 23:26 “My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.”
 
No need of the dense fog up ahead friend, because if we willingly offer Him our heart, our eyes will stay on the road map.
 
In my conference room I have placed a large black Bible on a small white column. Its purpose is of course for easy access as I counsel people but most especially when I am sought out for the correction of a child. It is important for children to know God early so that they may keep themselves from more trouble than is needed as they learn who God is and His purpose for their life.  For you young moms, remember, as soon as a child can talk, teach them to quote scripture. I know from firsthand what a blessing this will be not only for you, but for others as well.
 
A ten year old girl entered my office and sat down staring at me as I stared back.
“So, why are you here?”
“I don’t know.”
“Wrong answer. Why are you here?”
“They think I stole some money, but I didn’t. I found it on the cafeteria floor, but I can give it back.”
“Who would you give it back to?”
“The girl who lost her money.”
“Go get the Book.”
 
I had the young girl turn to Ephesians 4:25-29 and as she read it out loud, her little eyes kept peeking above the big black Book.  It was the first time she had ever come to the Principal’s office. She began to cry, and I felt bad for her, but I needed her to know my God and what His Word says about liars and thieves. Sound hard to you? The Word of God keeps us in check. If we hide these pure Words of our Lord, then truth cannot be known. It is there, but we may have not taken the time that day to read it. This is an awesome reality check for us all as we journey together this year. This little girl was fearful of being in my office and rightfully so.  This was good. She needed to respect her authority and more importantly, God’s Word. I have to ask myself from time to time, “Do you respect God’s authority?”
 
As we look at getting to know God, we see that our minds can be renewed in the Spirit as we obey His Words, as this little girl eventually saw. Even before someone has become a Christian, the Word of God can be quoted to them because it is God who draws them to Himself.  We hold that flashlight in our hands and it is very important to NOT put it down (literally or just not pick it up) where we can’t find it.  Every journey needs a flashlight. I keep losing ours and my husband just gives me that look!  Do you ever get “that look?” God offers us His flashlight of truth as we take one step upon another. So, grab your flashlight for this journey and keep it ready for HIS need in you AND for the need of others.
 
Psalm 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”  Children learn this verse very quickly. It is also a great comfort when we get stuck in the dark of life’s journey. Say it out loud and be thankful for the truth that comes from obeying God’s Word.
 
 
Time for a coffee break. Read again, Proverbs 23:26 “My son (daughter), give me thine heart, (a volunteer act by you) and let thine eyes observe my ways.” Our eyes rest on the Words as our heart grabs the truth pushing us down this path of knowing and walking with Him.
 
So, time for an engine check:
 
1.       How is your attitude toward God’s authority?
2.       Does He have your whole heart? Is your map right side up?
3.       Are you willing to give it to Him today?
4.       Are you willing to share it with others, today?
5.       Is your flashlight packed?
 
- Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment