Friday, January 9, 2015

Fabulous Figs for the Family

 
   
 
Proverbs 27:18 Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honoured.
While reading the Bible, I sometimes wonder if a Hebrew or Greek word means the same as it does in our English language. Ever do that?  Of course, the Strong’s Concordance is a good source for me to quickly check it out whether using the bound copy or going to an app on the computer. Either way, I chuckle at my discovery. Do you know what the Greek word means for “fig tree?" Are you ready? A fig tree! Don’t you love it? My mind immediately took a detour even after Sheri warned us yesterday to stay on the main course and  to not go off on some rabbit chase. How in the world did Adam and Eve collect enough fig leaves to make an apron to cover themselves? But that is exactly what they did according to Genesis 3:7. Read it when you get another break on this journey. There are different kinds of fig leaves because of so many varieties of fig trees. Duh! .....and I should have known that, but as you read you will find out what you really didn’t know!
 
Make a right turn with me and help me get back on the right road . . .  “Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honoured.
 
My husband and I had a fig tree just about knee high which was doing nothing. So, we dug it up and moved it next to our back porch. It grew a little but wasn’t producing enough growth for a crop of figs, not even one hint of the fruit. I courageously walked outside one day, picked up the hoe and began chopping around the scrawny tree gathering up a few weeds.  As I threw them on the trash pile, I was so proud of myself for doing a grand ole’ job.  My husband met me with a scowl on his face and then began brow beating me all the way back to the fig tree.  I wanted to pick up the hoe and do some chopping else where but decided to pay attention to his words and not his actions. I didn’t realize just how closely I had pounded the hoe around the root system of the tree! But, bless the Lord, in a few months the fig tree took off and grew higher and bigger than we anticipated which was almost too close to our back porch. I chuckle today as I imagine the tree smiling back at me as if to say, “Thank you for gathering the choking weeds and by the way I have a mouth full of figs waiting just for you!”
 
It is our responsibility to do as the Word of God teaches instead of questioning its authority every time we pick it up, or running to the Preacher to complain about something we “think” the Bible says or means. Our fruit will come back to us and fill us up, sometimes to overflowing! My favorite verses which hang in my office at this writing are found in John 15: 7 & 8 “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.”  The abiding is exactly what it means:  Abide, live in, dwell, remain, wait for.  The fruit will come as you stay in the Word and act on it.  We pick up the Bible, we read it, dwell upon it, act on it, and afterwards the fruit bearing begins because Jesus is dwelling in us and we are dwelling in Him! Wow, what a TRUTH! Let’s get back to the Road Map and follow its direction.
 
Pick a Few Fig Facts: (Say that 10 times and have yourself a good laugh on this Road Trip)
 
1.  Figs are mentioned over fifty times in Scripture.
2.  Figs were one of the seven species listed among the produce of the land God promised.
3.  Figs can grow wild.
4.  Jesus cursed the fig tree because it didn’t produce figs. Jesus got hungry just like we do today!
5.  Jesus used the example of fig trees to teach us that the end is near. Fig trees are the last to produce leaves.
6.  Figs are a significant commercial crop in Israel.
7.  Figs make great jam!
8.  Fig trees have no blossoms on their branches. The blossom is inside of the fruit.
9.  Figs naturally help hold in moisture in baked goods and keep them fresher.
10.  Figs were used as a training food for the early Olympic athletes, becoming the first Olympic “medal.”
 
Just a few facts for you to ponder ......see you on the next trip, Lord willing! 
Sharon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment