Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Let's Get a Plan

                            
Ps 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
Mt 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Ps 140:13 Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.
1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
As a young mother trying to figure out all things for all people, I struggled in getting my priorities in order. God blessed me with a wonderful Pastor, Brother Gene Keith, of Countryside Baptist Church in Gainesville, Florida. He and his lovely wife, Teulah, were my life lines back in those early days of motherhood.  Brother Gene and Miss Teulah were a unique couple and had a gift for compassionate teaching to people, especially couples.  I admired this elderly couple (they were only in their 40’s at the time!) and paid close attention to Brother Gene’s daily broadcast of “The Sound of Inspiration.”  
Each day I grabbed my notebook and Bible to write down the scriptures he used as he taught God’s Word. After joining the Ladies Bible Study, I learned more about God and discovered The 959 Plan. In short the plan taught us how to pray in nine minutes and fifty nine seconds followed by a Bible study. Brother Gene wrote the study and then printed out questions to answer.  
My first entry in my notebook was dated November 19, 1973. I have kept these teachings and used them over and over throughout my life.  The old blue notebook is worn but certainly the words are as fresh to my soul as the day I heard them! Thank God for this plan. If you struggle as a young mom and feel like you just can’t get over the hump, you may desire to consider this simple plan. There are six divisions which I have listed below:
1.      Prayer of Praise-Praise God for all He has done for you today and in the past
2.      Prayer of Thanksgiving –Thank Him for answered prayer and for His goodness.
3.      Prayer of Confession-Confess your sins and make things right with Him and others.
4.      Prayer of Intercession-Pray for others and their needs. Write those dates down.
5.      Prayer of Petition-Ask God for what you need, not necessarily for what you want and be thankful for what you do have!
6.      Prayer of Silence-Be still and listen to the still small voice of God. Quote memorized scripture.
 Praying before your Bible study, whether using the 959 Plan or not, gets your mind in touch with the Holy Spirit. Now, you are ready to listen to God. May I share this story with you?
The phone rang. “Mrs. Loyd, do you have a minute?” I listened to one of our sweet young mom’s cry  for help as she poured her heart out to me seeking advice for an emergency in their family.  “Can you get to my office, now?”  She did and we got on our knees before the living God and opened His Word to see what He had already said about this kind of situation.  It was very clear what she needed to do. She saw it and I encouraged her to do as the Word said.  We prayed again, trusting that God had heard us.  We left it there but got up from our knees and began talking. I needed to see where she was in her walk with God.
“So, tell me about your day. How are the children?” She explained how difficult life was for her right now, but she was making progress, handling the troubles one at a time.
“What are you learning in your Bible study right now? How is your walk with God?”
With that same tilted head I had seen many, many times, she answered, “I am tired all the time from work, the children and the ministry. I just don’t have the time to read all those chapters Pastor Andy told us about.”
“All those chapters, oh you mean the Read the Bible Through in a Year?”
 
“Yes. It's just too much.”
“That is just a guide! No one is grading you. No one is standing over your shoulder. You just cross off a chapter when you read it. It doesn't matter how many. At the end of it all, you will have read the entire Bible. Who cares how long it takes.”
“But I don't understand the Bible like you do and some of my friends.” How many times had I heard that one! 
“Well, which book do you not understand?”
“Leviticus.”
“Leviticus?  Well, I don't even understand Leviticus at times!”  We both busted out laughing. In the south we bust, not burst!


She was precious and so honest with me.  I gave her the Read the Bible Through in a Year plan and asked this question, “Now, when can you get started, before the baby’s first feed or after?” She sat there a few minutes as we walked through her day. She heard herself admit that she spent well over an hour on facebook and even more time on the phone with her mom and family.  Her face lit up and she said, “I should have my Bible study before those things shouldn’t I?”  With a smile I responded, “Oh yes you should! And you know what? God will direct you and bless you for putting Him first before others each day. You need to connect with your community of friends on facebook, but not before Him. You should continue to touch base with Mom but maybe not as often? Think it over, and trust God to tell you…..but be ready, He will talk to YOU through His Word.”
Before the week had ended, she called me and with excitement, exclaimed, “Mrs. Loyd you’ll never believe what God has shown me these last few days!”  I said, “Oh yes I would dear girl, oh yes I would!”
Oh me, the things we get twisted about!  Pick up a yearly plan or ask me for one and I will send it to you. Most Bibles include a yearly guide of reading God’s Word.  And remember that this is just a guide. No one is dictating to you how many chapters you must read because dear friend, this is between you and God as you Get to Know Him ….. just a little bit better today than you did yesterday. Mark off the chapter(s) as you read and eventually you will have read EVERY Word God has written JUST FOR YOU!
Same Place, Same Time, Same Bible…until next time, Lord willing.
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for suggesting that I try reading the bible through in a year! I have learned quite a bit already and I'm not even half way finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me to "get back on the plan"... Sometimes I let "life happen" & I get off my routine. Reading this I know I need to "tweak" my routine and get back to the plan... I am thankful for the journey I am following you two on and look forward to each new reading... Always thankful....

    ReplyDelete