Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Don't Give Place to the Devil!




Eph 4:22-27 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.

I was invited to attend a Counselors Work shop a few years back, paid in full.  All I needed to do was make the decision to drive or fly and take the few days off from school. I needed the break and decided to drive and catch up on a few of my favorite preachers and evangelists. So I packed a few CDs and began my journey with some awesome preaching for the entire trip.  The conference hall was packed with educators, psychologists and few therapists. I was in my element and couldn’t wait to hear many of these professionals speak in their area of expertise.

“Where are you from?” I was asked.  “Right here in Florida,” I responded “Oh” was the standard reply while they tried to figure out if I really was from Florida or from Georgia or Alabama. I just smiled because my accent sounds more southern Georgia. Most of the other professionals had flown from out of state. That conversation was the beginning of a few hints that maybe, I just didn’t belong with this crowd. I wanted to yell, “Hey, y’all. I’m the one born, reared and educated in these here parts. Now, why don’t you pack your bags and get out of Dodge!”  I am who I am. I work at proper English and grammar while at the same time I know that my accent may give the impression of an uneducated country girl.  

When the deafening electric guitar initiated the crowd to jump up and get out of control dancing all around me, I looked for an escape but I was slap dab in the middle of them all. Then the singers came running across the stage with microphones that raised their pitch to the next level of confusion, which encouraged the audience to respond with more chaos. For a minute, I thought that this could be an experience for us to write on at some point in the conference. I was wrong! This was our entertainment! The group on the stage looked neither female nor male. I could not make them out but had fun trying. Everyone in this packed audience was having the time of their life while I kept thinking my time of life was fixing to end!

I was in trouble and needed to make some quick decisions for myself as a Christian. I did not want to give place to the devil, but I had already pulled up a chair to his table. What do I do and why did this happen? These people had spent thousands for this conference to help us as counselors, but this was so not part of what God called me to do!  I had walked away from such worldliness years ago and did not need that side of my flesh resurrected and fed for much longer. A conscious effort on my part needed immediate action to GET OUT! Then as quickly as it started, it ended. I learned a great lesson that day. Sometimes, we get caught in a situation that is not our fault and we need to have enough scripture memorized to combat the enemy. I literally quoted scripture out loud that night.  I asked God, “What do you want me to do, now. Do I stay or do you want me to pack up and leave? Is this about me, or is this about you and the calling of these people’s salvation?

Eph 4:1 ¶ I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

God needed me to be strong, learn from this situation and look for an entrance to share the Gospel with the ones He would now, place in my path. I didn’t want to grieve the Holy Spirit. Therefore, my determined effort to keep my mind focused on Him was the ultimate choice for victory. It was simple: Mind (God’s mind) control. I laughed at myself. I asked God, “How in the world do you put up with me?”

I know what whets my appetite to sin, don’t you? So, stay away from it! But at the same time, situations occur which may be totally out of your control, where God has held your hand and led you to sit down and eat with the Pharisees. Why? It is for them, not for you. Oh to God that we would desire our new man (woman). She is so precious. She speaks in scriptures, is kind and points all people to Christ. She never offends purposely, but allows God’s Word to do as He needs at that moment. She knows the difference of speaking the truth in love! She doesn’t grieve God’s Holy Spirit, but allows Him to breathe through her, doing the work of the Master. No one can stop her. She walks worthy of her calling! For crying out loud, just be a Christian in the crowd, Sharon!

What is YOUR calling?

Present your God, my God, to others as a rich God who supplies all your need and will supply their need as well. Present to the world, words of kindness and care instead of a critical, judgmental spirit. Don’t give place to the devil. He will turn you upside down and before you know it, you will be good for nothing.

Step back and SHUT UP, SHARON. That is what I did that day. I listened to God. He plugged my ears to the sounds of the past while helping me see the people, a people without Christ who for this week-end just might, listen to an educated country girl share the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I heard Him. Before the conference was over, I had multiple opportunities to speak and they listened. I learned a lot those few days as God reminded me of Who He is and who I am NOT!

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment