Friday, March 13, 2015

Be strong (in the power of HIS might)




Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

As many of you may know, I recently decided to implement changes in my family's eating habits.  It was a calculated decision that I did not make lightly.  I know myself better than anyone, and I know I have the tendency to start things and not finish them (Just open my craft drawer and you will know I tell the truth!)   So, I didn't want to start on a new eating plan without really thinking it through.  Although, one glance in the mirror should have made me want to jump on a diet!

What I have realized about myself during this time is that it all started with a mindset.  I considered, weighed the options (and my fat self), and then acted.  But I quickly saw I could NOT accomplish it on my own.  I needed help.  Help with encouragement, recipes and other like minded people. 

As Christian women we can make up our minds to "earnestly contend" for our faith, our God, our families and lives, but it has to go beyond just a decision.  We have to act on it.  We must come to the conclusion that in order to contend for our faith, we have to contend BY FAITH!  And we can't do that alone.  We NEED God's help.

God knows you and I live in one of the most wicked times in history.  And He knows we face the same enemy that Adam and Eve did in the beginning.  He knows we may want to resist and contend, but we are going to need help.  His help. 

First, let's get a mindset.  Let's gorge ourselves on the Biblical recipes of faith, endurance, submission and the fruit of the Spirit, but let's also exercise what we learn and put it into action! 

Second, before we start sweating spiritually and working out things about our salvation, let's make sure we are doing it correctly.  And by that, I mean in HIS might, not our own.  There is a wrong way to go about contending for our faith.  Sometimes, we can contend against the wrong thing.  People are not our enemy, the devil is.  Let's not waste our exercise time on something that won't give us good results!  We need to focus on the real problem.  One preacher said it like this, "We should never underestimate our enemy, God doesn't".  Why else would God give us Ephesians 6 if it were not to help prepare us in the battle we are ALL facing together....not against each other, but against the REAL enemy?

You and I can either sit down and do nothing and let our lives pass us by, OR we can get a mindset of contending and asking God for His help. We need to ask Him to help us be strong in the power of HIS might!  Do you know what kind of power God has for us?  The same exact power HE used to resurrect Christ from the dead!  That is what power He has that we can tap into!  We cannot face the devil and all his stinking wiles in our own might.  We will fail 100% of the time.  We need to put on the armor God has given us and decide to let HIM be our strength. 

Next week I will give you some practical points of what the armor is, how to use it and encourage you to keep contending.  Have a GREAT weekend.  Get your mindset, come stand alongside of your sisters and let's do this together.

Until next time, Lord willing,

Sheri

1 comment: