Tuesday, March 10, 2015

By Example, Follow in Order to Lead



Php 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Daddy took the last slice of bologna and divided it to make two smaller pieces, one for him and one for my sister, Vickie and me. We sat outside in the car long after dark waiting on Daddy to open the car door for us to go inside.  Daddy was weeping silently but in much pain. It was one of those times when my sister and I knew not to ask questions. I remember leaning on Daddy’s arm and thinking, "Where was Mama this time?"

Looking back to those several times we were left either alone or with Daddy, I knew God loved me. I’ve written before that God made Himself very real to me a few years before I knew Him as my Heavenly Father. Somewhere beyond the stars there was a God and somebody up there loved me. I just knew it! As a six year old, I understood more than my parents thought. If there is something I have learned in education of young ones it is that they understand more than we realize. I see it in their eyes while God opens mine to their need.  Don’t ever underestimate these little ones if God places them in your life.

I don’t know much about angels but what I do know comes from the Word of God. Therefore, I can trust what the Bible says, wouldn’t you agree? As that youngster in first grade, I wondered about the presence around me. I sensed someone watching over me. Was there an angel? I don’t know, but the mere thought that there could be, comforted me and helped me to sleep at night. Where did I hear such things as God, angels, heaven when my parents were not Christians? I heard it in church and through my grandparents who loved me more than life!

In hunger, God comes. In need, God supplies. Php 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his in glory by Christ Jesus.   Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.   

Such powerful Words to a child! Children will usually trust their grandparents and their youth Pastor or Pastor of the church when they may not trust their parents. They need to know that there is a God watching over them. They need the security that God loves them even when they are “bad,” whatever that means to a child. They are learning to trust. Does that make sense? When a child is hurt whether physically or emotionally, they begin to NOT trust….anyone! As Christians we can be available to help them “trust” God by showing them a loving, caring God.  Paul taught the church at Philippi a list of virtuous qualities to THINK on and with children we can break it down by one virtue and then another. If they don’t SEE it in us, they will not believe what we say. "They are smart little buggers," as Grandma would say.

One of the biggest mistakes I hear parents say is, “Well, I have left it up to my child to make the decision about___________"(you fill in the blank), when all the while that same child needed someone to help them make the decision.

Grandma set the example and made me wear little dresses that covered my knees and upper body. I remember Grandma’s attire. Grandpa showed me how to work in the garden while working WITH ME, encouraging me along the way. I remember his happy face and received his instruction. Grandma sat me down at the sewing machine, placing my feet on the two peddles underneath while she pushed my knees with her hands. I remember those hands and still see them in my mind, today as she mended everyone’s clothes.  She would look at me with a stern but caring eye teaching me to watch the needle go up and come down so the needle wouldn’t go through my fingers. I remember and learned by her example. Grandpa took us to church, made us sit on the front row while he paced across the front talking about Jesus. I wanted to know Jesus, whoever He was and he must have been important or else my Grandpa wouldn’t have talked about Him so much. I remembered Grandpa’s faithfulness to God’s house. They didn’t ask us if we wanted to go. It was settled and we went! Please, if you are reading this, hear it.

Read with me again verse 9, “Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.” Paul was not perfect but knew the one who was! He’s telling us how and what to do if we want true PEACE in our lives. I believe we all understand that our eyes shouldn’t be on man, but on God, BUT at the same time God provides for us examples to learn, receive, hear and see so that we can turn around and set the example for others. A little hunger to know God can go a long, long way, my friend. He will place people in our lives while placing us in other’s lives to influence for God’s purpose as we honor God and give Him the glory! Don’t slack God by slacking people, especially children. They can be so teachable and impressionable.

I don’t have my own grandchildren around me 24/7 to teach as I had in Grandma and Grandpa Baxley, but I have been given the responsibility of hundreds of children who pass through our school. We have one shot at it! Why would we get so caught up in ourselves and miss this great blessing which brings much peace to us? It is a win/win situation. May I encourage you to first learn, receive, hear and see what God is trying to teach YOU in HIS WORD as you journey with Sheri and me to knowing Him better today than we did yesterday……..and then… GO and teach, give, speak and close your own eyes to personal needs watching God fill you with His perfect PEACE which is probably what you were looking for all along. Look behind you today and lead those who are following you to follow Christ!

Until next time, Lord willing.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment