Monday, March 2, 2015

Do You Speak Stinkin' Words?



Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

If you talk to people long enough, it is pretty easy to find out their belief system in the matters of heartache, victories, church, family, careers….life in general. It doesn’t take long to discover what their relationship is with God either, whether they have trusted His Son as their Savior or just know about Him for one reason or another. It all comes out in conversation…..our manner of life.

Mrs. John R. Rice was an unusual woman. She spoke in scriptures. I’ve never known anyone who walked so close to God as this dear lady. Mrs. Betty Bloom, Dr. Jesse Bloom’s wife, was such a lady as well. To God, people would remember me for a little of what I observed in these women.

My tongue is so long it comes out and slaps me most every day! I hate it, don’t you, if you struggle with your words? Marlene Evans taught a lot on the sins of women and their tongues. Thank the Lord He gave me enough women in my life to help me know there was hope for me, after all  AND, there is hope for you. Our tongues can minister grace or it can corrupt everything and everyone around us.

This is a gross illustration but very effective for children as they finally admit to saying inappropriate words or passing one tale (untruth) after another. Just recently a young man and his friend came to my office to let me know that another young boy had called a group of girls a very bad name. After having them fill out a “Confession of Someone’s Fault” I immediately went to the offender’s class room and asked this question, “Where in the world did you hear such a word as you called these girls?” Without hesitation, he said, “My Mama!”  I was shocked, truly, to think he blamed his mom but at the same time, I knew it could be possible as we all make mistakes.

“Do you know what that word means, son?” With tears welling up in his eyes, he answered “Yessim, a female dog.” 

Well, I knew then to go and notify his mom and get it over with, but before I did I told him, “When you say words like that around others, it is like taking dung and smearing it in their ears. Do you understand?”

“Yessim, I do. Mrs. Loyd, I am so sorry. My mama is going to be so mad at me.”

I wanted him to see that not only was it a sin for him, but that he caused others to hear and smell his stink, and for that, he would answer to God as well. I know it is a crude illustration, but you DO get the picture, don’t you? You know, we are no different than this child when we “proceed” with corrupt communication.

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

That ole man (woman) is still there and she slips in, on the front lines to make her attack. If you don’t watch out, she goes for the kill and the stink begins!

I love cilantro not for the flavor so much, but for the smell as I eat my salad, but if I don’t take care of it, it becomes the biggest stink in the bottom of my refrigerator and is good for nothing except for the coyotes and buzzards. They’ll eat anything! The rot, the odor, the spoil corrupts everything around it. Will you think with me for a moment and take the time to examine  the many ways we cause others pain as our corruption multiplies in our homes and in our work place.

Words that kill:
1.       Can’t you do anything right?
2.       You stupid fool. How many times do I have to tell you?
3.       I don’t know how she puts up with him. I tell you if I was married to him I would…..
4.       Have you seen her new hair color? Oh my word!
5.       And to think she was raised better than that.
6.       Well, if they had raised her right, she wouldn’t have done…..
7.       I don’t know why Pastor harps on …….
8.       What’s wrong with …….? It’s not THAT BAD!
9.       How many times should he forgive her? He needs a life, don’t you know!
10.     He should just divorce her and get it over with.

If you are kin to Eve you probably have more to add to the above list and have realized that these ten are a drop in the bucket to what we, as women, have said over and over! Oh me, God help us all. Now, take each one and flip it by thinking to do the opposite or by using words that help instead of hinder someone's spirit.  Go back to Ephesians 9:29, “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.” Did you get that? Grace unto the hearers…..we have an obligation to proceed with grace for our listeners, folks!

Admit it, it takes patience and temperance to stop and STOP, and then proceed with righteousness.

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Jesus Christ has provided for you and for me the grace we need to keep that harmony especially in the church where fellow believers work, pray, sing and worship together. We have been issued the gifts to do what we cannot do without Christ but remember as you exercise the gifts He gives, apply His grace. Gifts without God’s grace can hurt others. What we say and do may be right but the manner in which we do them, may be harsh and hurtful.

So.....PROCEED! CARRY ON! MARCH in the unity of Christ with a smile on your face today!

Until next time, Lord willing,
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment